Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Another NBM Z28 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another NBM Z28 Build Thread

Hey everyone, I've been around for a couple years, asking questions and doing research, but just now decided to start a build thread here, since the car isn't a daily anymore.

My car is a 1999 Navy Blue Metallic Z28 with an automatic trans. I love this car, and I've wanted one since I first saw one as a kid, that being said, it'll just be another "built" 4th gen in the end, which I'll be more than happy with.

I got the car about 2 and a half years ago after someone hit me and totaled my 95 Z28. In the time I've had it, it's been a daily driver, so not a whole lot has been done to it. It was bought new in Indiana, and made its way to me in Illinois, so it's been a northern car for all of its life. It has about 195,000 miles on it, and has surprisingly little rust for its mileage and age, what rust it does have will be fixed. The previous owner swapped a crate LS1 into it with a RPM built trans at about 130,xxx miles, but I lost a couple of gears about a year after I got it, and just got a stock rebuild for time and money sake. I bought a pick up last summer, but that had its own problems, so it was officially retired as a daily in December.

As it sits now, it has a SLP car back from a previous owner, I put a SLP lid with a Green filter on it, UMI 35mm front and 22mm rear sway bars, BLS head lights, 6LE grille insert, and its currently jacked up waiting for me to stop being lazy and put on an UMI adjustable panhard bar and rear control arms with rotojoints.

I have plenty of things planned for this car, it will be primarily an auto cross car, and something I can take to the autobahn club with my cousin, but will see it's fair share of time at the drag strip, as well. As money is a big factor, this will be a slow build.

I have a list of everything I want to do, but this is already becoming an essay of a post, so I'll save that for another time.

Here's a few pictures, though:
Attached Thumbnails Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo621.jpg   Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo761.jpg   Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo432.jpg   Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo138.jpg   Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo380.jpg  

Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo769.jpg   Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo895.jpg  
Old 02-13-2017, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

I ended up installing the panhard bar today, I'm hoping to get the control arms wrapped up on Thursday or Friday
Attached Thumbnails Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo448.jpg  
Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice. I have a 2001 NBM Z28 and I started to work on it little by little. I recently just put on some LCAs from UMI with the roto-joint and so far they are awesome. Might want to look into refreshing the suspension in the front as well.

I did that project last year where I replaced all the tie rods, bushings, and ball joints. I cleaned up the arms and steering knuckle and repainted them. Installed Koni STR.Ts and Strano springs and have loved it ever since. Best project I have done so far.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Good to hear about the LCAs! I took one off yesterday and realized I still have the wrong bolts, so I just. Role down and bout the hardware kit for them, should be here Saturday. I definitely plan on doing the front suspension, too. Since my upper ball joints are pretty bad, new upper and lower UMI A-arms will be next, suspension wise. I'll try and stop being lazy and type out the list of stuff I plan on doing to the car soon. The Komi STR.Ts are on the list as well, I haven't decided on springs, though. It seems like a lot of people like Strano, so I'll look into those.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Following, car looks good man.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Thanks! I got the mounting hardware for the control arms on Tuesday, and got them mounted yesterday.

Next up will be headers, exhaust, and new tires, but I'm saving up for a trip I'm taking in a couple of weeks, so it'll probably be a little bit before I update this again. I'm switching to full time in the next week or so, so hopefully things will be moving a little quicker after that.
Attached Thumbnails Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo530.jpg   Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo632.jpg  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome looks great! Wrapping up my NBM SS right now.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

I really hate how slow the progress of this is, priorities keep getting in the way, haha. The rear has a constant roaring noise, so unfortunately I don't know if I'll be taking it to the track at all this summer. I have started saving for a Quick Performance 9 inch, though. I probably won't have enough for that until the end of summer.

The other day, I picked up some used Texas Speed 1 7/8 longtubes from a guy at work, and I got GM gaskets from work today. I still need to get O2 extensions, new header bolts, and I'd like to do motor mounts while I'm in there, so it'll be a few weeks before I actually get them on.
Attached Thumbnails Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo371.jpg  
Old 08-17-2017, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

I haven't made much progress, I have the headers, motor mounts, hardware, and gaskets and stuff, I just need the rest of the exhaust before I do all of that, but my union is on strike, so I've been trying to be careful with my money until all is said and done. That being said...

I bought a set of 243 heads, with rockers and valve covers.

I'll start rebuilding them with new lifters, springs, and pushrods when I have more of an income. At this point, I'll probably just wait until I have an LS6 intake and a cam to do the headers and exhaust along with it, we'll see.
Attached Thumbnails Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo892.jpg   Another NBM Z28 Build Thread-photo505.jpg  

Quick Reply: Another NBM Z28 Build Thread