Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'72 Monte LS1 swap almost complete

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '72 Monte LS1 swap almost complete

Before we start I know you guys want pictures. I will get some on as soon as possible.
Project:
1972 Monte Carlo, worked LS1, auto trans, 4-wheel power disk, Hotchkis suspension, braided brake hoses stainless lines, 12 bolt posi with 3.73 gears, custom dash, Ricks gas tank, Hooker super comp. headers., torque thrust II style rims.

Have almost all of this done, except a few minor things. I am currently waiting for front braided brake hoses to finish the brakes, and am wiring up electric fans, and had to order a new front light harness (old one is fried). Fired up car last Thursday, just put in new shifter yesterday. And hopefully finish connecting wires for gauges this week. As soon as brake hoses show up I will hopefully be test driving everything.
I don't care what anyone says, direct fit= bullshit. I think if anyone has fabrication skills or a buddy with skills make your own stuff.

Engine sounds mean. It has a Texas speed head and cam package. 5.3 liter heads, stage 2.5, 224 camshaft. Also added new lifters, ported LS6 oil pump, and comp. cam timing chain.
Super comp. hooker headers, X-pipe, and currently spintech mufflers and dumps before rear axle. I may change mufflers to something else, but they sound very good, like a race car. But may try to get a little more of a muscle car sound instead of a performance race car sound.
I did some of the work and had a friend (a true mechanic) do a lot of the major things. But I was a part of most of the work, so I will try to answer any questions someone has, or I can get the answer. Also I ordered all the parts, so I have all that information. Problem is I wouldn't go back to some of the venders. One of them ripped me off and nothing they had actually fit like it should. But I will get into that another time.
As soon as I finish these little things I have to start on the interior and exterior. But of course the work I have done so far ended up costing me a lot more than I expected. So I am not sure how quick the rest will come. I will probably finish most of the interior first and at least enjoy the beast for a while before I do the body work and paint. It will be bucket seats, console, and black interior. The body will eventually be flat black, hopeful with a couple of custom additions to the body. I have a few ideas.

And yes I will try to get pictures up of the progress so far.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like a great car--------
Old 10-20-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, cant wait to see pics!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

what did you do for a fan shroud that is a big space to fill, front end and a short engine
Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Launching!

oh no,.,. competition for my 71 monte.... good luck gotta see some pics. we can compare notes
Old 08-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Default Install issue's

Is there a space issue from the pan to the hood. This motor I have came out of a 05 silverado
Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice build, i am currently in the process of doing my own ls1 build in a 71 monte carlo. need more of you guys around to help out

Quick Reply: '72 Monte LS1 swap almost complete