Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 LQ4 4L80e wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Default 2004 LQ4 4L80e wiring questions

I am purchasing a 2004 2WD LQ4 4L80e pullout for my next project, and had a few questions.

1) What should I get with the pullout (wiring wise)besides the engine trans harness ( pedal and associated wiring , or just cut the pigtail for the pedal, and other things)?

2) What am I going to need to run the 4L80E electronically (I think it has a separate computer, but I'm not sure) if anything?

3) I am going to put an ls1 style intake on the engine, would it be best to use the truck harness, or switch to a car harness, and what do I need to make the manifold work on an LQ4?

Sorry for all the questions, but the truck engines are new to me, and I know many have done it successfully. This will be going into a 95 SL600 Mercedes R129 body roadster FYI
Old 11-25-2008, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome swap ! Did the V12 explode ? What you're doing is going to really uncomplicate that Benz. Those things have some horrendously complex systems; here's a website that may help. http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/index.php
Old 11-26-2008, 06:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the link, but I am wondering where I should look in the Mercedes shop forums to answer the questions above
Old 11-26-2008, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

The most likely is the " performance paddock ", but the more you read there, the more cross-references you'll find. Also look for speartech-might be a sponsor here- ? Pix !
Old 11-26-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cdk4219
I am purchasing a 2004 2WD LQ4 4L80e pullout for my next project, and had a few questions.

1) What should I get with the pullout (wiring wise)besides the engine trans harness ( pedal and associated wiring , or just cut the pigtail for the pedal, and other things)?

2) What am I going to need to run the 4L80E electronically (I think it has a separate computer, but I'm not sure) if anything?

3) I am going to put an ls1 style intake on the engine, would it be best to use the truck harness, or switch to a car harness, and what do I need to make the manifold work on an LQ4?

Sorry for all the questions, but the truck engines are new to me, and I know many have done it successfully. This will be going into a 95 SL600 Mercedes R129 body roadster FYI
1) You are going to need the engine harness (preferably uncut), the TAC Module, and the pedal. If there are any connectors coming from the harness, then you will most likely need those too. If you are looking to go Drive-by-Cable, then you really don't need to worry about the pedal and such. Just remember that the PCM will have to be tuned accordingly.

2) The PCM can control the 4L80E without a seperate transmission computer. The PCM will have to be tuned for the 4L80E, that just involve editing some tables and such, or copying and pasting the tables from a truck with a 4l80E.

3) With the harness, it really is up to you. if you use the truck harness, you will have to do some rerouting of wire bundles, but it isn't really that bad. You would have to change injector connectors if you are using LS1 injectors, from the USCAR type connector to the EV1 connector. Other than that, everything else should almost be plug and play. As far as making the manifold work, if you are keeping the truck accessories, then you will need an alternator relocation bracket (you can get them from speartech) and you will need to modify the ALT/PS Bracket so that the throttle body clears the manifold/throttle body.

Quick Reply: 2004 LQ4 4L80e wiring questions