Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80 into chevelle....what to look out for

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80 into chevelle....what to look out for

Hey guys, swapping a 4l80 / Turbo-charged lq9 into a 72 chevelle. I know all the pitfalls of the motor swap, but usually im backing them with 4l60's, TH350, TH400 or 700r4's. This time around, since im pushing 600RWHP, I am going with a 4l80E. Aside from moving the crossmember and shortening the driveshaft (obvious), what will require massaging? My trans is a '05 case, so it has the cooler lines split (one in the front, standard location, one in the rear) Seems that the cooler line in the back may be a pain....but I wont know till i test fit it. Just seeing what ya'll know before i end up throwing tools and kicking the dog. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cut out the transmission tunnel firewall to the rear of the tranny and fab a new one. I tried the t cut, no dice.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

your choice of motor mount adapters will affect it some, there is diff positions for the motor depending on who's setup you use-i test fitted a plastic case one, and it needed some adjusting, which i did at the time, but ended up using a 400-curious to see how yours ends up, as im building a 2005unit now to swap in the 69, with manuel shift v/b(my shifter will accept a 4th gear)
for the cooling lines, i am gonna use one of the ATI Perf Prods. front fittings, which is a 1/4-18 STRAIGHT thread to an AN #6, and for the rear fitting, which has the tube on it, i cut down a #6 AN steel fitting, trimmed the stock one, and tig welded them together, so i can use a #6 90 deg fitting on it-it might need some clear in that area
while i have the trans case bare, i'll test fit it, a little easier to handle, that 212 lbs gets heavy, lol
Old 12-07-2008, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

I have a 6.0 80E in my Cutlass. My engine is in the stock SBC position with the Autokraft style pan. My transmission sits in the tunnel fine with out any modifications, I did however have to modify the return fitting for the cooling line due to tunnel clearance. I also fabricated a cross member with a 77 Corvette transmission mount. Hang on to the factory truck cooling lines if you can, they will work ok for an A-body, fab'd lines would be better but the truck ones will work. The stock trans dipstick is a PITA to get in with the firewall clearance of these cars,get it in place while the trans is lowered in the back, then finish installing when the trans is mounted and sitting normal. Here's my rear fitting:

Old 12-07-2008, 12:30 PM
13 Second Truck Club

mine fit in pretty easy had to do a little woopin to the bottom edges with a hammer but its just a little you can not tell when looking inside the car then for a crossmember i took the th350 crossmember and cut out about 6inches of the middle and just lowered that 6 inch peice about 3/4 of an inch then used a truck 4l80e tranny bracket say our of a mid 90s truck had to elongate the holeon the th350 mounting spot easy looks good and only costed about 20 bucks i used the edelbrock headers and they hit the ears that stick out on the 80e dust sheildbut just barely grinded off about a 1/4 inch they fit great and are by far the best bang for the buck if you look at the right online store
Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

now why in hell didnt i weld an AN 90 deg on my fitting instead of a straight one-i was gonna use a 90 deg hose end-didnt even think of welding a 90 on it
glad you posted that pic, gonna cut my straight end off and weld a 90 for much better clear.
dam brain farts seem to come more offen, lol
Old 12-08-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I should add that I did my tranny tunnel from scratch due to my car is pretty damn low, all of my angles are nice and my engine is sitting in there with the BRP mounts. Curious to know how low your oilpans are to the ground? Lowered or factory height?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
I have a 6.0 80E in my Cutlass. My engine is in the stock SBC position with the Autokraft style pan. My transmission sits in the tunnel fine with out any modifications, I did however have to modify the return fitting for the cooling line due to tunnel clearance. I also fabricated a cross member with a 77 Corvette transmission mount. Hang on to the factory truck cooling lines if you can, they will work ok for an A-body, fab'd lines would be better but the truck ones will work. The stock trans dipstick is a PITA to get in with the firewall clearance of these cars,get it in place while the trans is lowered in the back, then finish installing when the trans is mounted and sitting normal. Here's my rear fitting:

i likey your fitting
Old 12-10-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

my 6.0/4l80e trans fit in tunnel.. it was kinda tight on oil lines..but rig it up fine.. 70 chevelle.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the replies guys! Ill be test fitting the trans soon....ive got a nice assortment of sledge hammers if neccessary Just for decoration, of course......

Quick Reply: 4l80 into chevelle....what to look out for