Sponsored by:

LQ4 in a 1971 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
It feels much better, but you lose some turn radius
I thought the box still had plenty of travel to reach the original stops. That sucks if it doesn't. I didn't see lossed turning radius mentioned anywhere in the threads I've read; are you sure you have the rigth box or am I off my rocker?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From CarCraft:
What is not so good for A-Body, early Camaro, and Nova owners is the third-gen Camaro box's limited 64- to 70-degree pitman arm sweep. Compared with a stock Chevelle/Camaro/Nova movement of 87 degrees, this means that bolting in an '89 Camaro steering box drastically reduces the early car's turning radius. We've tried a third-gen Camaro box on a '65 El Camino and discovered that while the ratio improved and the feel is much better, the lost turning radius makes the car less fun to drive, requiring three-point turns where a simple U-turn was achievable with stock steering. There is a way to change the stops in the third-gen Camaro box to remedy this situation.
I see others haven't noticed it, but I've definitely noticed a reduced turn radius. I did install the long pitman arm (Moog PN K6582).
Old 01-20-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Great article and thanks for the link + added info. I am on the fence about swapping boxes in my car. I never really thought about steering ratio before which tells me either I wasn't really that unhappy with it the way it was or I just didn't know to think about it. As such I have a hard time justifying a swap, yet it would be a million times easier to do now with everything out of the way and only having to tackle steering line once. Lots of people rave about the results and I'm leaning toward doing it, I just want to understand the tradeoffs and pitfalls.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Your Nova is AMAZING!!! These pics and videos dont do any justice. Finally seeing it in person was great. That car sounds like a monster coming to take you away!!! Your Garage was a mans candy store!! Nova, GTO, Mustang. Mine use to be Camaro, Monte SS, Chevelle. Dont give the Goat up if you dont have to. Ive only seen 1 similar in az, im sure there is more. Such a beautifull car with so much custom work done.

The best part of it all is that you have a woman that allows this!!.

Me and my wife are about spending any cash on my single car. Eventhough she drives an escalade.

So i just order my parts on Amazon and shipped to my work
Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Haha, I appreciate it. I decided against selling it after the last potential buyer offered me a couple k below the asking price. I actually decided on fixing some small stuff -- got the dome light working today, and am going to figure out the windshield wipers (hoping it won't be terribly difficult). I'm also going to build a center console to cover the carpet hole from the 4-speed.

It's good seeing you driving yours around! We need to do some of those meet-ups more often.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 74novacustom
Wow, Your Nova is AMAZING!!! These pics and videos dont do any justice. Finally seeing it in person was great. That car sounds like a monster coming to take you away!!! Your Garage was a mans candy store!! Nova, GTO, Mustang.
I wanna see I wanna see!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
Haha, I appreciate it. I decided against selling it after the last potential buyer offered me a couple k below the asking price. I actually decided on fixing some small stuff -- got the dome light working today, and am going to figure out the windshield wipers (hoping it won't be terribly difficult). I'm also going to build a center console to cover the carpet hole from the 4-speed.

It's good seeing you driving yours around! We need to do some of those meet-ups more often.
Thats great to hear, if you sold the Goat you would kick your own *** later for selling it. Something you would tell your bridge buddys about in 50years lol.

Lets organize some more gatherings, i understand your twins will limit your ability to go whenever. So lets work around that and get something together.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

I think he's talking about the assortment of old cars in the garage/driveway. I doubt my neighbors see it the same, especially considering the oil/coolant/ATF stains on the driveway and street leading from my house. Unfortunately, the garage isn't big enough to fit all 3. The nova actually had to sit outside for a couple weeks while I did the 5-speed in the GTO. Now the goat's outside. And technically the 'stang's the gf's. And she's not really that into me spending all my money on toys, though she does (did) question my desire to sell the goat on the daily.

oh and btw the in-tank setup is nearly finished.

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 01-23-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

WOW the Goat looks amazing with some wax on it!! Sounds good about the tank. We will be cruising in no time. just dont tell my wife lolol jk no really
Old 01-25-2012, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

got my tank back. we decided againts froy-oy's labyrinth setup, as it was much easier (and less expensive) to do a simple box-type enclosure (a la hot rod's eco nova). based on what richard (74novacustom) told me about his, I'm not really worried about fuel starvation. I'll get the tank cleaned and painted friday, and get to the installation this weekend.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Did you take any pictures of your box/baffle? Did you do it in mild steel? What pump and are you using the factory sender like they did in that article?

I think we need a picture of the Nova with the new plates installed. Your sig picture would look a lot cooler if you had the full bumper width.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

unfortunately not; I believe so; aeromotive stealth 340 (for future upgrades ); no, we modified a tanks inc in-tank hanger kit, and made a bracket to bolt the fuel level sender to the side wall of the box.

and finally, I'll work on the full-***-end pic. though i don't think anyone wants to see the giant gouge down the back of the passenger-side fender

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 01-25-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

I cleaned the tank out yesterday, then painted it with truck bedliner. It worked well on the mustang. And yes I heated it up after taking the pics to get all the condensation out.

Edit: here's some pics of the tank

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 01-30-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

before you get it all assembled hook your sending unit to your gauge and make sure it reads correctly, mine is off and its annoying.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I baffled my tank very similar to tank,works great.Good to hear your keeping the goat,see ya on the streets or at the track soon.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice, love this build
Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

The tank looks great. You should post the pics directly in the thread.

I've always wondered about the hole sizes for the box around the pickup. They need to be small enough to retain fuel in that area as you go around a corner but large enough to allow it back in between turns. I'd be interested to see if you poured water in there, how long it takes to drain out of the holes. I realize one of the mroe important functions is to simply keep fuel in that area during sloshing, so I'd also like to see what happens if you partailly fill the tank, then rock it back and forth to generate a slosh effect. Does that area remain filled? With a light and a video camera, you could show us. Please?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

what Nova guys are down to go to the CPP 4th Annual Nova Social and Cruise in Anaheim on March 10?

http://www.cppopenhouse.com/web/NovaDayFlyer.pdf
Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Clint - I suppose I could figure that out. I'll pull the pump and take some measurements.

I updated my previous post with photos.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Took some measurements. The tray is 5" by 5.5", with 2" tall walls. That's 55 cubic inches, or just under 1 quart. There's 10 1/4" holes around the bottom for fuel to flow in/out.

Based on this page, 600 horsepower (building in some cushion) would require 260 liters/hour of fuel, or 68.64 gallons/hour. That's .209 gallons on an 11-second pass, or 48.5 cubic inches worth of fluid. That means 88% of the tray would be evacuated by a 600-horse engine during an 11-second pass, not including the effects of acceleration. Basically, the tray will help a little, but I'll still need to make sure I have plenty of fuel to keep the pump submerged.

Quick Reply: LQ4 in a 1971 Nova