Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 in a 1971 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's funny... The polished compressor kind of looks out of place with the natural aluminum on the rest of the engine. it looks better on an old school engine with chrome, like my gto. I'm not complaining though!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the heater work in that bad boy, since my car is my dd im scrambling for a heater now.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

I honestly haven't used it that much, but it absolutely pumps the heat when I do. since you're looking to go a cheaper route, find a big-block nova heater core. I understand these will clear the LS head on the passenger side.

PS - I've still got my heater box if you need. Not sure if it fits the MY74, but it's just taking up space in my garage otherwise.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

well, I've decided upon my next project. I'm going to pull the fuel cell and run an OEM-style tank with in-tank pump. I'm likely going to shamelessly steal from frojoe's tank setup, with plans to use an aeromotive 340 pump and replace the 6AN with 8AN for future upgrades (i.e., getting rid of the 1" TB spacer for something a little more functional.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress, but feel free to chime in with ideas.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Are you going to do your tank and baffle's/labyrinth out of mild steel like frojoe or stainless? I've been thinking about picking up a stainless, OEM style tank from Ground Up, then adding an in-tank pump & baffling to it similar to what frojoe's doing. I've also thought about doing the 5th gen pump with the retrofit parts from vaporworx, although that is considerably more expensive. I don't really like the idea of uncoated/treated mild steel in my tank and I've heard mixed reviews on the coatings. Another option is to use the intank setup, but rebuild the tray into something more like what frojoe's doing.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

I was planning to use frojoe's setup, though it's up in the air whether or not to run stainless. The OEM-style tanks are usually mild steel, and I wouldn't believe there's much issue running them uncoated (which fuel tank shops around here advise).

74novacustom is running a Tanks Inc drop-in with good results, but the walbro pump is too small. I plan to use his fabricator to do the work, since he'll be able to do a much better job on the tank than I ever could. Plus I'm sure he could come up with a good setup similar to frojoe's for much cheaper than Tanks.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
I was planning to use frojoe's setup, though it's up in the air whether or not to run stainless. The OEM-style tanks are usually mild steel, and I wouldn't believe there's much issue running them uncoated (which fuel tank shops around here advise).
It is true that the OEM tanks are mild steel, but they are "ni terne", tin-lead & nickel coated to prevent corrosion from fuel agents. This has some good info on restoring a tank including coating: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Fue...storation.html

If you fasten your custom labyrinth to the fuel pump hanger so it all drops in at once, then the whole assembly would be free hanging and you could dip coat the custom mild steel parts in a tank sealer, attaching them to an already coated OEM tank. This is assuming you can get a big enough sealable opening in the top of the tank to do such a thing.

I think it would be interesting to take whatever labyrinth design you come up with, set it in a bucket or tray of water, hook up a waterfountain pump to transfer water out of the labyrinth, and drive around with it sitting in your car to see how effective it is. You might learn a lot.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

74novacustom is running a Tanks Inc drop-in with good results, but the walbro pump is too small.
If you talk to them, you might be able to get their hanger and whatnot without the pump itself. The Walbro is too small for you? Really?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
If you talk to them, you might be able to get their hanger and whatnot without the pump itself. The Walbro is too small for you? Really?
Yeah just order it without the pump and get a racetronics pump kit for it, or just get the racetronics pump kit and have allen build you the rest.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

The Walbro is too small for you? Really?
Oh Lord no, not right now anyway. But I'm planning to add a nitrous setup in the future. Figuring on a 100 (whp) shot, I'd be just under 650 hp at the crank (roughly 520 at the wheels). While it appears that Lonnies Performance says the 6AN/255lph combo will work, I still don't want any pyrotechnics if I hit the bottle. HSW's advice was to monitor fuel pressure during WOT and make sure it doesn't drop - I just don't want to buy a 255lph pump and find out I need something larger.

I think it would be interesting to take whatever labyrinth design you come up with, set it in a bucket or tray of water, hook up a waterfountain pump to transfer water out of the labyrinth, and drive around with it sitting in your car to see how effective it is. You might learn a lot.
Hmmm... yes it would. maybe I'll think about it while figuring out the in-tank setup.

Yeah just order it without the pump and get a racetronics pump kit for it, or just get the racetronics pump kit and have allen build you the rest.
I already talked to allen. We're going to design/fab something once I get a tank in.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Okay, with nitrous you're starting to make sense. If you're fabbing something right now, maybe you should think about accomodating twin pumps in the future. Did you look at Chevy406's video? I think he had an Aeromotive (not sure on the model) and that thing was LOUD. Probably wasn't in-tank though. I just can't remember.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Ya, he used an external magnafuel pump, PN 13101.

I just got off the phone with Lonnie's Performance. They recommended to stay with a walbro 255 up to 550 rwhp, and do a dual-pump setup for anything over that. He also mentioned just sumping the OEM tank, since the rear is higher than the front, which would simplify the install tremendously. I'm still leaning toward frojoe's idea - I'll run that by the fabricator to get his opinion.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

well... merde. My pypes exhaust is about a half inch from the rear strap mount, and I cut the front mounts when I originally installed the summit racing plastic fuel cell. According to some pics I found at SNS, I think I can safely say the fuel tank extends outboard a bit from the straps. sooo... I either have to modify the exhaust (I could put turn-downs just forward of the tank), or modify the tank (probably much more extreme than frojoe did). Or keep the fuel cell.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

If i remember correctly, did you say that a newer Monte carlo or camaro Power steering gear box bolt up in our cars?

My box is leaking and might as well upgrade.

BTW i just ordered plate LSXNOVA

WHen we gonna go cruising.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 74novacustom
If i remember correctly, did you say that a newer Monte carlo or camaro Power steering gear box bolt up in our cars?

My box is leaking and might as well upgrade.
3rd gen Camaro fast ratio box. See these for info:
http://69camaro.nextmill.net/steering.html
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103139

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 01-06-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you, My car will be going under the knife soon to undergo a full front suspension/steering replacement and upgrade.

I went on a mountain cruise with an F-Body club here in AZ and i was left miles in the back unable to keep up in the turns.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

I priced the parts out through rockauto and it came to about $150 before shipping for the box and coupler. Search for an '84 Camaro Z28 box and a '79 Camaro coupler. For me shipping brought it to about $170. The box has metric fittings, so depending on how you did your hoses, you may need the little flare adapters to go from inch hose fittings.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

I used all AN Fittings and i think i still have my adapters from my 88Camaro layin around somewhere
Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

I either have to modify the exhaust (I could put turn-downs just forward of the tank), or modify the tank (probably much more extreme than frojoe did). Or keep the fuel cell.
Bummer. Exhaust-to-tank issues seems to be pretty common. I have turndowns just before the rearend on mine. I like the sound of the exhaust reflecting under the car, but it is loud and sometimes you can smell exhaust. I have no plans to change it. One thing I really like about it is you can hear the exhaust note from beside the car (like when sitting next to someone at a stoplight). Pipes to the back tend to keep the sound to the rear of the car. If you make a clean cut, you can always put it back if you don't like it (assuming you know how to cut/weld)
Old 01-06-2012, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

I went with a 3rd-gen camaro box with F41 suspension. It feels much better, but you lose some turn radius, which is annoying. It's a direct bolt-in, other than the rag joint (one from a 79 Nova works). here's some info, with recommended alignment specs.

as for cruising... I literally sold the fuel cell from the nova on Wednesday. Allen said he'd get on the OEM tank this week, but I pushed it back to have him do a driveshaft for my 5-speed project in the GTO instead.

and I'm putting turn-downs just in front of the tank. for now, at least. no cutting needed, as I'm just going to remove the rear pieces. I'll likely later modify them to point the exhaust outward behind the rear tires, though it's close to the rear coils.

Quick Reply: LQ4 in a 1971 Nova