Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help from the E36 swapped people!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help from the E36 swapped people!

Okay it's not so much LSx specific but I've been trying to find the info at Bimmerforums for nearly a year with no luck.

I'm looking to stab in a 1jz-GTE and I want to avoid aftermarket engine management. I would like to just remove the E36 DME and engine Control wiring harness. I want to keep it simple in from the 1jz-GTE ECU aft of the engine. All I'm interested in is fuel pump and instrument cluster operation...I don't know what all the BMW ECU controls aft of the engine, but I do know the 1jz-GTE ECU doesn't control much aft of the engine anyway.

The goal is to keep my stock cluster with the appropriate idiot lights to suit the new engine, with a working tach and speedometer (and odometer), as well as a working stock engine.

I'm not concerned about ABS, ESC, cruise control, etc...though I would like to keep my economy gauge.

Again, I'm sorry for posting something like this on LS1Tech but the people I've been asking haven't been much help. I was hoping someone here might have done something similar.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-2009, 06:33 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not particularly difficult. With a GM swap the tach is easy because you can alter the output. The speedo doesn't require anything to work (it is based off of the stock speed sensor in the differential. The coolant guage is easy and the gas gauge doesn't require any work either. The oil pressure light needs to be hooked up to something that will ground when there is a problem. You will not be able to keep the economy gauge as an economy gauge.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Yeah I'm not entirely sure how the economy gauge works anyway...but if I could sort that out I may be able to figure out how to make work. We'll see

Does the low oil pressure light route through the ECU? Seems like there's a ton of different options that could possibly work, but I'm more concerned about a general check engine light (which should be simple to wire up) and having a visual check on what oil pressure actually is (simple gauge).

Thanks so much, Rao!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Save yourself a ton of hassle and just get a scangauge II. Plug it into your obd2 and you'll get the same thing as the economy gauge plus a lot of other readouts too and a code reader.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Well the issue there is that the 1jz-GTE is an OBDI engine...so, without the DME the OBDII port won't really offer much, would it?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

You might wanna talk to the supra guys but economy gauges are not accurate anyway. Most just measure manifold vacuum, the more vacuum the higher the mileage.

I personally dont see any use for them but it must be important to you for some reason
Old 05-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Teching In

I'm a long time member of both SupraForums and BimmerForums...and all the other Supra and BMW forums . Thing is it's an odd swap that most people don't do...the few people who do it haven't been too much help and the rest really don't know how to approach it. I really think I have it all sorted, though...to get the best of everything (even the economy gauge haha) I'll have to run the E36 and 1jz ECU's together. Engine management from the Yota and standard body electrical from the BMW piece...of course most of it is security stuff but it's nice to have.

The economy gauge is just cool...I like it...only reason I want to keep it. It works off vacuum just as you've said and should hook up just fine.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:36 AM
rao
TECH Resident

The BMW ecu is not needed.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rao
The BMW ecu is not needed.
Thanks Rao! I just hear conflicting opinions is all. I'd prefer to ditch it becasue my 1jz ECU will fit in the little ECU cubby hole perfectly...

Quick Reply: I need help from the E36 swapped people!