Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

someone kick me dead in the butt

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default someone kick me dead in the butt

after i get everything running. i have a oil leak at the back of the pan. so i droped the trans. replaced the rear main seal. i dont think that was it. i think it's the oil pan. son of a bucket, i'am most likey going to have to pull the motor one more time. why didnt i do this when the motor was on the f-ing stand. thats what happens when you get in a hurry.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

If it's just the pan, you don't have to pull the engine. Try loosening the pan, and using some silicone first before you go to all that trouble, it's prolly right at the joint...

T,
Old 06-18-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

You will be lucky if you only have to pull it once. I had to pull it 3 times because of no oil pressure. I was all most ready to put a gun to my head.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:39 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I think I have the same problem. When I blew up the first motor a couple years ago I re-used the oil pan gasket because I was in a hurry and they are supposed to be re-useable and all. So I end up with a new motor that leaks oil. Now it is really leaking and there is no way for me to drop the pan while it is in the car.....I have approx 1/4" clearance in some places...Time to pull the motor.........................well I guess I might as well throw a cam in while it is out
Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
RYU
Staging Lane

That's funny.. A stubborn oil leak in my freshly built 355 SBC is what made me want to get rid of it in the first place.

I figured since I need to pull the motor might as well swap in an LS1 in there. HAHA!

I pulled the LS from a low miler wreck. Doesn't show signs of an oil leak but you never know until its up to pressure. Now i'm wondering if I should even start any type of tear-down on that too. ugh... once you start you can't stop!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

this is why it's not good to rush when putting the motor back together....i know its hard my car has been down for 5 months and i want it running just as bad as the next gearhead but i only got one shot at this with limited money so i gotta take my time which i suggest anyone workin on a motor
Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

I fought the same thing on my '99 LS1. After replacing the rear main, then the oil pan gasket, it turned out to be the crossover plate gasket on the back of the block above the crankshaft. I got good at R&R'ing the trans by the third time.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

thats the kind of luck i have. if there is a slight chance that something could go wrong, then it will happen to me!

Quick Reply: someone kick me dead in the butt