Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Alternator Wire to LS1 alternator wire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Truck Alternator Wire to LS1 alternator wire?

Hey guys,

I recently swapped the LS1 from my 02 Trans Am into my 1993 Chevy Pickup truck. The motor that was previously in the truck was a 5.3L from an 04' Avalanche.

The alternator exciter plug on the 5.3 harness has a couple of wires, 3 I believe, and the car had the one wire plug. I tried the truck harness plug in the LS1 alternator and it fits, but I don't know if the connections are the same...

All I DO know is that my battery gauge reads super low and the battery won't start charging...or at least I think that is what is going on...

Can i convert this plug over to a one wire plug that will make the LS1 alternator work or does anyone know if a new style alternator will fit in the LS1 Alternator bracket location?

Thanks,

Cody B.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Better yet, does anyone have the pinout for an 04' 5.3L alternator plug?

I think I have figured out how to fix my problem....
Old 06-27-2009, 12:00 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are going to run the camaro alt with the truck harness, remove all the wires out of the 4 pin plug except pin B. Pin B serves the same function on the truck and f-body alt.

If you want to run the truck alt that will also work too. It will bolt in place as the bolt spacing is the same. But the truck alt does have a larger diameter, so that may become an issue if space is at a premium.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:22 AM
Staging Lane

is this the same with truck harness and cts-v alternator? if I read your response correctly your saying that there should only be one wire on the harness plug "b" that plugs into the alt itself.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:37 AM

The f-body alt uses 1 wire, the CTSV uses 2 like the early trucks
Old 07-26-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, now this has me wondering how my altenator needs to be wired up. I have a 5.3 L L33 with a PCM and wiring harness out of a 2004 5.3L truck. My altenator is from a 2001 Z28 Camaro. How do I need to wire this? Do I leave all 3 or 4 wires in the alt plug since I am using the truck harness and PCM or do I go with only the 1 wire since the Alt is from a F-Body??????
Old 07-27-2009, 12:12 AM

The alt is from an f-body so it needs the wire in pin B and that is it. Eliminate the rest.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does anyone have a pinout for the Truck Altenator plug. I know all I need is pin B, but I can figure out which wire is pin B. The plug doesn't seem to have the pins labeled or anything.

Also, I just picked up my car from the exhaust shop last night and my DBW gas pedal isn't working. The car will start up, idle up to about 1700 RPM and then die. The pedal won't respond at all. I read in another thread that if the PCm doesn't detected that the system is charging, it will go into limp mode and the pedal won't work. Can anyone confirm this? Again, my altenator isn't plugged in, so my system wouldn't be charging, but I'm trying to figure out if I should be looking for another answer to the pedal issue.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem on a dbw LS1 corvette engine, it was wire broken at the TPS sensor causing the same symptoms you describe. I found it by checking the wires with a meter between the TPS and Tac module. Mine had 4 wires coming out of the TPS Sensor...pink was open. Assuming it isn't a VAT's issue...
Old 08-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Truck Alternator Wire to LS1 alternator wire?-alternator-connector.gif
Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Default alternator issues

OK GUYS I NEED HELP.....
I JUST DID A MUSTANG NOTCH WITH A 5.3 OUT OF A TAHOE AND A TURBO. I GOT THE CAR RUNNING AND AM TRYING TO GET HELP ON WIRING UP THE 5.3 TRUCK ALTERNATOR SO MY BATTERY CAN CHARGE. HELP HELP HELP! THANKS GUYS.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is a gigantic alternator thread on this site - but I have no idea how to link to it. I am in the process of hooking up my truck alternator (carb setup - ergo no PCM) the alternator is looking for a 5 volt signal.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you get it figured out?

My alternator (03 Escalade) has a 4 pin plug but only three of the pins are wired. It is marked P L I S and the colors are blue "P" - brown "L" - and tan (or gray colored) "I"

THANKS SIDE SHOW BOB

I sure hope I don't fry this alternator and I think I am supposed to get a 12 v in run stepped down to about 5 v by using a resistor and then hooked to either L or I - not sure

Quick Reply: Truck Alternator Wire to LS1 alternator wire?