Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wish my car would co-operate

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wish my car would co-operate

I wish I had one of the easy cars to do the LSX swap. Although my car is a 1969 Camaro, it's been fighting me all the way. Problem #1 that is I have the BRP engine mount kit, well I have interference with the steering link and the oil pan, so people tell me to buy an oil pan (Auto Kraft $400 US, cause I'm in Canada) or modify the old F-Body pan, which I don't have the personal skills to or would have to send it out. Problem #2 is that the Hooker LSX headers don't allow me to use the stock steering box as it won't fit. I tried for 3 hours today to get both to bolt up in the car and it's a no go, now I could get a Saginaw 605 box which is the smallest box they have, but again one costs around $400 US. So to remedy this I would be in for $800, I'm seriously thinking about a Unisteer Rack.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went down that road with BRP mounts, trying to figure out if an Autokraft or moddied F-body pan would work. Since those motor mounts move the motor forward and up it made it hard to determine if it wil clear. I did try the H3 pan and while it allowed for clearance of the tire rods it hung way way to low.

When I mocked everything up in the car I did have a rack and pinion, it was real close to the pan but it cleared, so you can try that. But IMHO getting rid of those motor mounts was the best thing I could have done.

Once I went with Autokrafts pan and mounts, everything else fell into place.

On a side note, I had to lower my gear box a tad to get my headers past. But that was easy enough. Oh and buying raw stainless headers makes any type of changes in the header a snap. If you have to make a dimple, just heat them up, do your thing, then scotch brite it. you'll never notice..

Good luck

Quick Reply: Wish my car would co-operate