Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX into a normally FWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX into a normally FWD

hey guys been on the forum for a few months now and seeing as iv owned a few FWD cars.. never really had a RWD other than the car i learned how to drive with (98 chevy tahoe)
was wondering how hard it would be to swap out a LSX probably a LS2 into a small FWD pobably a malibu (97 to 03 body style )just like how they look and would like to make it RWD at that..dont know to much about Swaps ,never really did any internal work but would love to try it. if i was to get a good deal on the block and trans (would like to keep it auto but wouldnt mind a 5 speed ) how hard would it be to do..
as far as i understand it would be the mounting.. which is probably impossible due to the tunnel. and then the BCM wiring would need to be redone..
dont mean to ask stupid questions but was wondering and figured this would be a great place to ask.thanks in advance..
Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The use of a LS4 from a Monte/GP/Bonnie would be your best starting point. grab all goodies like the engine/trans/shafts/electronics. It would be easier to swap in an LS1 into a RWD setup FWD car. Hack out the *** end and place a solid axle etc etc etc.

Seeing how the Malibu has a 3.1L in it, which has the same principle mounting as the 3.8L and utilizes the same tranny pattern, I would go with an L67, or L36. If you could score the 4T60E-HD your good to go.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

i cant see a fwd car being that much fun to drive tho with v8 torque and power ? will be entertaining but traction will surely be poor?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Launching!

I always thought that 351 conversions people are putting into the Ford Focus are way cool. If I wasn't such a hardcore GM guy I'd try that....
Old 09-17-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you could make a pretty good sand rail by putting a FWD V8 set up into the back of the rail.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

actually i already got a 06 impala ss with the ls4 and although i love it would wanna make the malibu rwd.. that the biggest thing for me..
Old 09-18-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Making the malibu RWD will be somewhat difficult.

I've done a 97-03 Grand Prix in RWD and i also have a 98 Malibu and I can tell you that there isn't as much room under the hood (roughly 75%). You might be hard pressed to fit the engine between the core support and firewall without moving it back.

A few measurements will tell you.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so even by using a lets say.. ls4 ,fitting the tranny is goin to be the hardest part..?not to familiar wit rwd anything..lol but im down for the challenge,,maybe later down the road after i get my house..was just wondering wat i would be looking at but thanks for all the help and support..also if you have picks of the grand prix and 98 malibu you did id love to see it..
Old 09-19-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

What I did with the GP was cut the entire floor out from *** to tea kettle on each side of the existing tunnel. The engine bay was large enough to fit the LS in w/o too many headaches. I used the GTO pan so I could keep the factory rear steer knuckles. I didn't document my swap too well and lost the car to a storm so the car is probably part of a new ford by now. I have photos all up until the installation of the rear etc...which doesn't help you.

Check out this swap that will aid you...--->HERE<---

The malibu is my beater and was only used to compare engine compartment sizes. It is all stock except for cancerous speed hole modification.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man bro you got skills.. for just learning about this kinda stuff a couple years ago i gotta say you motivated me to make my own project.. love the motor,trans.and the coilovers.. great idea i think imma have to borrow that idea.. great work
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TTLS1GP
What I did with the GP was cut the entire floor out from *** to tea kettle on each side of the existing tunnel. The engine bay was large enough to fit the LS in w/o too many headaches. I used the GTO pan so I could keep the factory rear steer knuckles. I didn't document my swap too well and lost the car to a storm so the car is probably part of a new ford by now. I have photos all up until the installation of the rear etc...which doesn't help you.

Check out this swap that will aid you...--->HERE<---

The malibu is my beater and was only used to compare engine compartment sizes. It is all stock except for cancerous speed hole modification.
fox mustang 4cyl springs in rear?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure what springs he used. From what I understood is that it is a dropout from a cobra mustang.

That wasn't my build but it sure helped. I didn't use the same parts as I went LS and he is using a Turbo 3.8L v6.

Quick Reply: LSX into a normally FWD