Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Fbody, swap to V8

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 Fbody, swap to V8

I have searched the forums and can't really find a thread that says anything about this. If you know of one, please post a link to it, or just share your knowledge.

I picked up a wrecked 02 V6 at the insurance auction this morning. I plan on using the interior for my Z28. I had a guy that was interested in it for an LS1swap, but he told me that it is extremely hard to do the conversion. I have heard of quite a few people going from the 6 to a carb version and never heard this before. Aside from the wiring, computer, ect, is the swap really that difficult? He told me the subframe is completely different and that makes the swap very expensive. I have never done anything like this so I am in the dark. Any help?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

he lied, car is exactly the same subframe wise. the swap would just be a k-member, wiring, computer, motor, tranny, basically a drop in really.. maybe a rear end.. idk.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Default swap

Im in the process of doing a swap right now, in fact I just dropped the 6.0/TH400 in tonight in my '96 V6 car. Im going to go carb, so I dont have much for ya on the wiring end of it, but I can tell you that the "subframes" ARE the same....... You're gonna need the K-member out of a LS car. I bought a used kmember off of a member on here, and it was out of a '00 or '01, worked out fine in my '96, in fact V6 and V8 cars use the same control arms/balljoints, just a different spring rate in the original V8 car. I havent changed my springs over yet, dont know if I will, it sits nice and level as it is, Im gonna wait and see how it works @ the track. The rearend will work for you also, more than likely the V6 car will have drums and an open carrier- discs and a limited slip in the V8 car. The rest of the chassis stuff is the same, rear control arms, panhard, etc........ If theres anything else you have questions on, shoot me a pm-
Old 10-13-2009, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by scj
he lied, car is exactly the same subframe wise. the swap would just be a k-member, wiring, computer, motor, tranny, basically a drop in really.. maybe a rear end.. idk.

He didn't lie, He doesn't know. I haven't ever done a swap so I don't either. One day I plan on building a drag car, probably using a 6 cyl shell, but I will go carbs. I didn't think it was that complicated.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Default swap car

Start reading and keeping an eye out for parts. If you can score a wrecked LS car for a donor, grab it. Youll be a lot further ahead in the long run w/wiring, gauges, etc. Good luck!!!!

Quick Reply: V6 Fbody, swap to V8