Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to put Gen IV into 1999 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to put Gen IV into 1999 Z28

I am thinking about replacing my LS-1 with a new crate engine, probably something like the 6.0 that comes in the GTO. There are some good deals on these engines and it looks like a new engine won't cost any more than all the parts to hop up my LS-1 and will yield better results (and will be a new engine replacing the 110,000 miles LS-1).

I have a few questions.

First, would I be better to keep my LS-1 PCU and adapt the various parts, or to install a new PCU that's made for the engine and then adapt it to the car?

The engine has a 58x ignition so I will need an adaptor to the 24x controller, that's $260. And then the engine has ETC while the LS-1 has cable throttle, one or the other has to be replaced.

I prefer using a new PCU and wiring harness but I have no idea how hard it will be to interface to all the various systems. I am willing to go to ETC if I can find a throttle pedal that bolts right into the car and it will interface cleanly. This is one of the reasons I like the idea of using the new PCU.

The car has a 4L65E automatic transmission, ABS, ASR (traction control), cruise control, pretty much all the stuff. I DO NOT want it to be a kludge, it's important to me that the car must look as nice as a factory installation and retain all the emissions equipment that would go with the engine if it were installed in its original home like a GTO. I want everything to work.

So which is the best way to go? Old computer/old car/new engine or new computer/old car/new engine.

Any comments or other advice about doing this swap would be appreciated.

TF
Old 12-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some info:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-ls1-car.html