Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine wiring issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine wiring issue.

I am in the process of swapping a lm7 engine with a t70 turbo into a 1989 camaro rs. I know of all the parts that i need or the swap but i need to know about wiring it all up. Im new to LS engines, and fuel injection because all of the other cars i have worked on were carburated. I was not given the wiring harness or computer with the engine. How should i go about wiring this mess up? my guess would be that i would just buy an LS1 wiring harness and morph it into the wiring harness that was in the car for the lights, and signals and electronics.

Also, if this makes any difference, i am planning on buying a 5 switch toggle panel to run the fuel pump and fan and ignition off of. How should i go about wiring all of these together in the most budget friendly way.

I know i could buy a painless kit but they are $800+ and i can't really afford that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Michael
Old 01-23-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Buy a LS1 harness if wiring scares you from any company

For a DIY, use whatever you can get the cheapest, LS1 Fbody, truck or even cobbled together from JY connectors. Expect it to take 15-20 hours
Several good wiring threads specifically for 3rd gens
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...third-gen.html
Old 01-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

lol thanks Pocket, i am a member to that forum as well so i will do a search there.

It's not that im scared of wiring , its just that im new to it and i really am kind of going at it blind. I figured if i could get the ls1 harness and then conform it with the stock camaro one that'd be the easiest way. Thanks for the quick help.

Any other input on the topic would be great.

-Michael
Old 01-24-2010, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I've read and done so far, there isn't alot of interaction between the engine harness and the body harness. You have a truck motor so get a truck/ SUV harness and ecm. Otherwise unless you plan on changing injectors you will have to change the injector plugs a the very least. I'm in process of putting an LM4 with an M20 Muncie into a 65 vette. I bought a used truck harness and it mated up woth my Envoy engine perfectly. I've weaned out all of the auto trannt wiring along with the rear O2 wiring. I just have to make my fuse/relay block and tie into the ignition. Don't be afraid of the wiring. Between here and Performancetrucks.net and LS1 tech there is all the ecm pin info you need and threaads on how toand what to power full time and switched. Its not as bad as you think. We are here to help you.
Bob
Old 01-25-2010, 12:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd use a LS1 F-body Harness and go with that..it's pretty easy to do.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Will i have to send it out to have different things put on it/ taken off of it? I can only imagine that it might make things easier, but if its basically plug-n-play to begin with then everything will be great.

-Michael
Old 01-31-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

there isn't alot of interaction between the engine harness and the body harness
Outside of the IGN 12v source and fuel pump relay output, nothing else is really critical. Just gauges left, but they arent critical for engine function

Will i have to send it out to have different things put on it/ taken off of it? I can only imagine that it might make things easier, but if its basically plug-n-play to begin with then everything will be great.
There really isnt anything you cant do yourself. Its tedious and time consuming, but not overly difficult. For missing/replacement connectors, go a to a local junkyard. The majority of LSx connectors have been used for years on a multitude of GM vehicles. If you cant find a specific connector or dont like using junkyard pieces, several companies sell new individual and connector kits

It is unlikely youll find a company to build your harness for more than stand alone. Those require 12v IGN to be hooked up and ran. Gauges are your job

Quick Reply: Engine wiring issue.