Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to mod 1959 fuel tank with internal pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need to mod 1959 fuel tank with internal pump

After going through 4 fuel pumps in 5000 miles I need to get rid of the inline pump and do it right with an internal. However, there are NO options for a newer tank that will fit my Suburban. The tank is on the pass side on the inside of the frame rail about in the middle of the vehicle front rear.

I was thinking about getting a 94-98 or so chevy truck tank and cutting around the lock ring then welding it on the old tank. But the pump and sending unit are one piece so I need to find one that is the same depth as my tank (9.5")

I may be crazy doing this but I want it to work flawlessly. I was told by someone that I should move my inline pump closer to the tank and that would solve the problem. Evidently the fuel is cavitating and causing the pump to overheat. Maybe this is the simpler solution.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Most older swaps weld a newer collar ring onto their stock tank. Snoop a local yard for senders close to the right depth. S10s, blazers, small SUVs may work out for you

In a worst case scenario, find a sender thats deeper than you need, cut the main lines and TIG them to the proper depth. The float will need to be adjusted to suit
Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I think Tanks, Inc, and Rock Valley have pump hanger kits for modding tanks....
Old 03-21-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, I don't know how to do the direct link thing, but if you will go to www.yogisinc.com, you can find the information you need. They handle the Tanks, Inc. products that *old geezer* was describing and, if you look down in the left hand corner of their web page, they have an icon you can click on for tech articles that show how to do what you are needing. Once you click the icon, look at the index for fuel systems...click on that and then go to page two of that to EFI TANKS. Shows how to install Tanks Inc. pump and tray into any fuel tank. Hope this helps.... Ron