Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap in 86 K10

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 swap in 86 K10

I am picking up a 03 5.3 from a Tahoe friday. Got a good deal on it, $500 for engine, computer, wiring harness, accesories and starter. Am planning on installing it in my 86 Chevy K10 with th350. If its dbw do I need the pedal from that paticular tahoe? I know I need the flex plate spacer, but is there anything else I might need for the engine? Should I get a different ecu or have this one reflashed? Sorry so many questions, I never missed with anything more complicated than tbi on small blocks and 4.3's. Thank in advance for your help.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Come on!!!!! A week and no answers. Thought i was asking experts, boy was i wrong!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

An 03 will be DBW, get the TAC module mounted on the firewall close to the steering column, and the pedal along with the small jumper harness between the two. You can use the PCM from that truck as well, just have it reprogrammed.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

If the engine and harness are DBW, then you need a truck DBW gas pedal and the TAC module with that harness too in order to make the throttle work. The TAC module is a separate small box on the firewall near the brake booster. The PCM must be reflashed to remove the VATS anti-theft, rear oxygen sensors, and, if necessary, change thermostat temps, and simply make it run bettter, etc. Just send the stock PCM to a local tuner or get a mail order tune.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 5.3

runt90, thats an easy one. for a dbw setup, the tac module & foot pedal needs to be matching set. most bone yards forget to peice these two items together. most harness vendors can sell you these items for a marked up price. you probally can find these items cheaper. the pcm can be reflashed for your set up. the items needed for the lsx swap R, MAF sensor, tac module with matching foot pedal, harness, and reflashed pcm. once everything is operating properly, vehicle will be need to be dyno tuned for proper drivability. good luck.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

runt90 also remember that if you doing the dbw, and using the older styling transmssion you will have to either change valve body on the transm... since you will not have the kick down bracket for the cable going to the transm.... or make something up
Old 04-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Thank you all for your replies to my questions. I wanted to know so I can decide which way I want to go and have all the parts lined up before I start to install it. I am using a th350 with a manual valve body so no kick down cable worries. Again, Thanks all. CD

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap in 86 K10