Sponsored by:

Trouble Re-Starting Motor - After it hits operating temperature

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Re-Starting Motor - After it hits operating temperature

1998 LS1 in conversion vehicle:

So first thing in the morning when everything is nice and cool my motor starts right up real fast; perfectly, with no issues.

Say I go for a 15 minute ride allowing the motor to reach normal temperature operating range, like stopping at a gas station or whatever, I go to start it right back up, the starter cranks perfectly (starters not getting hot) and it doesnt want to fire, it just cranks and cranks...

I end up having to wait about 20 minutes for the engine to cool down and then it starts up again just fine.

Any ideas what may be causing this? My only guess right now is that my fuel lines are getting too warm, also my throttle body cooler line is not hooked up, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I am kinda stumped here and looking for some ideas, thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pbj-tj
1998 LS1 in conversion vehicle:

So first thing in the morning when everything is nice and cool my motor starts right up real fast; perfectly, with no issues.

Say I go for a 15 minute ride allowing the motor to reach normal temperature operating range, like stopping at a gas station or whatever, I go to start it right back up, the starter cranks perfectly (starters not getting hot) and it doesnt want to fire, it just cranks and cranks...

I end up having to wait about 20 minutes for the engine to cool down and then it starts up again just fine.

Any ideas what may be causing this? My only guess right now is that my fuel lines are getting too warm, also my throttle body cooler line is not hooked up, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I am kinda stumped here and looking for some ideas, thanks in advance.

Sounds like the ECT/spark table settings are pulling start up spark. Do you have tuning software? I have assumed that the car is PCM controlled & not a carb. For example: when cool, ECT/spark may send 24* & once warm is may be pulling -20*. This is just an example of what the ECT/spark table can do, not an exact as to what it is doing. My first guess is the ECT switch/sensor.

What year PCM & did you do anything non-stock w/ the coolant temperature switch/sensor? If the stock sensor has been used & is connected properly, then send "Frost" a PM. Discuss the problem w/ him. He is a professional tuner & can fix it through the mail, ie; you send the PCM, then he makes the changes & returns it.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Sounds like the ECT/spark table settings are pulling start up spark. Do you have tuning software? I have assumed that the car is PCM controlled & not a carb. For example: when cool, ECT/spark may send 24* & once warm is may be pulling -20*. This is just an example of what the ECT/spark table can do, not an exact as to what it is doing. My first guess is the ECT switch/sensor.

What year PCM & did you do anything non-stock w/ the coolant temperature switch/sensor? If the stock sensor has been used & is connected properly, then send "Frost" a PM. Discuss the problem w/ him. He is a professional tuner & can fix it through the mail, ie; you send the PCM, then he makes the changes & returns it.

I have a 2000 z28 tune in my pcm. I am pretty sure I do not have a temp sensor though. Still waiting for my gages to arrive.

Right now I have a plug in the passengers side head, and Im not even sure whats in the drivers side, havent looked yet.

This is probably whats causing my problem is no temp sensor going to the pcm...
Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 AM
TECH Junkie

I have a 2000 z28 tune in my pcm. I am pretty sure I do not have a temp sensor though. Still waiting for my gages to arrive.

Right now I have a plug in the passengers side head, and Im not even sure whats in the drivers side, havent looked yet.

This is probably whats causing my problem is no temp sensor going to the pcm...

Not probably, since it's not there, the PCM is going into panic mode. It thinks it's -30*F upon start up & then goes into temp protection mode after running for a while. The PCM MUST have ECT (engine cooling temp) feedback. Get a 2000 ECT switch, mount it to the head & connect it to the harness. This will fix the problem. BTW, you're dumping gobs of fuel into the cylinders @ start-up. Once you add the ECT switch, change the oil it has fuel in it.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Not probably, since it's not there, the PCM is going into panic mode. It thinks it's -30*F upon start up & then goes into temp protection mode after running for a while. The PCM MUST have ECT (engine cooling temp) feedback. Get a 2000 ECT switch, mount it to the head & connect it to the harness. This will fix the problem. BTW, you're dumping gobs of fuel into the cylinders @ start-up. Once you add the ECT switch, change the oil it has fuel in it.
Thank you very much man.

Going to get the ECT & new oil on my lunch break.

Im a newb learning something new everyday. Greatly appreciate your help!!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

so i installed the temp sensor and plugged it into the harness it ran good for like 5 minutes and then the engine started running like total garbage. it was so disappointing. its like the engine hit a certain temp and the pcm adjusted the air fuel ratio to the point it would barely run. it left me stranded on the road i ended up unpluugging the temp sensor just so i could drive home. looking for some more help here its greatly appreciated
Old 05-20-2010, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

i have the same issue, but my car has a 5.3 tune with a tr224 cam, headers and intake. Once it goes into closed loop it tough to get it to re-start.
subscribing
Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Datalog it cold. Then datalog it hot..What's changing?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Front O2's plugged it? I'm not sure that you have connected everything.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Thinking about getting the Diablo Trinity to do my data logging, tuning and also to run my gauges? anyone disagree?
Old 05-20-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Thinking about getting the Diablo Trinity to do my data logging, tuning and also to run my gauges? anyone disagree?
If you're gonna get into tuning it, buy either EFILive or HP Tuners. I use EFILive. For just logging, then something other than these 2 can be used.

I'd say that it's related to your ECT spark table settings, since after you installed the temp sensor, trouble remains. However, what sensor did you buy & what color are the wires that connect to it & how many wires? Any chance that you can see what numbers on the PCM that the wires connect to? Maybe it's the wrong sensor. It's a 2000 PCM on a 98 LS1. The 2000 PCM uses a 2 wire & the 98 is a 3 wire ECT sensor. You need the 2000 sensor.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

If you're gonna get into tuning it, buy either EFILive or HP Tuners. I use EFILive. For just logging, then something other than these 2 can be used.

I'd say that it's related to your ECT spark table settings, since after you installed the temp sensor, trouble remains. However, what sensor did you buy & what color are the wires that connect to it & how many wires? Any chance that you can see what numbers on the PCM that the wires connect to? Maybe it's the wrong sensor. It's a 2000 PCM on a 98 LS1. The 2000 PCM uses a 2 wire & the 98 is a 3 wire ECT sensor. You need the 2000 sensor.

Yes trouble remains, but its a different kind of trouble. Before the temp sensor it just wouldnt start after it got hot. Now, it straight up just runs so bad it stalls when it hits operating temp.

The sensor I bought was for a 2000 z28. Same year pcm and same tune, they are both two wire (harness and sensor).

guess its going to take data logging to fix this, unless I just some how get lucky with the disconnect the battery thing..

Quick Reply: Trouble Re-Starting Motor - After it hits operating temperature