Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"solid state logic"

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "solid state logic"

anyone know where i can get one so i can make the fuel gauge work in my 98 trans am.. im using a 2000 pcm
Old 06-01-2010, 05:12 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you do the fuel segment swap on the OS?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Did you do the fuel segment swap on the OS?
don't know what the fuel segment is? would you mind to explain for me? long story short.. i have a 98 ws6 and took my engine and harness out of my old 2000 ws6 and slapped it in the 98.. so far everything works.. just not the fuel gauge.. i know the 98 has an input signal from the tank to the ecu, then spits out an output signal to the gauge.. but the 2000 ecu doesn't have a fuel gauge output. just has the serial data 2 wire that splits off and gos to the obd2 connector and then to the solid state logic..
Old 06-02-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid question... Can you install the 2000 gauge cluster into the 98? I seem to remember there being a difference in how well the tach or oil pressure gauge works between the early/late years...

Otherwise...can you just take the fuel gauge guts out of the newer clutser and install them into the 98 cluster? I guess you'd have to do a little wiring possibly.

Just brain storming. Without the wiring diagrams in front of me I cant picture what all is different between the two.

J.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by highway21
don't know what the fuel segment is? would you mind to explain for me? long story short.. i have a 98 ws6 and took my engine and harness out of my old 2000 ws6 and slapped it in the 98.. so far everything works.. just not the fuel gauge.. i know the 98 has an input signal from the tank to the ecu, then spits out an output signal to the gauge.. but the 2000 ecu doesn't have a fuel gauge output. just has the serial data 2 wire that splits off and gos to the obd2 connector and then to the solid state logic..
Your temp gauge doesn't work either, unless you used the 98 sensor and added the extra wire to the harness

You need to swap the fuel segment part of the tune with one from an Express van, so it outputs the fuel level signal on the correct pin of the PCM, instead of up the class 2 data buss. Then you need to run a wire from that pin to the input wire for your fuel gauge. Most guys repin their 98 harness for the newer PCM, that way they only have to more some wires around and not have to run any new ones
Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Stupid question... Can you install the 2000 gauge cluster into the 98? I seem to remember there being a difference in how well the tach or oil pressure gauge works between the early/late years...

Otherwise...can you just take the fuel gauge guts out of the newer clutser and install them into the 98 cluster? I guess you'd have to do a little wiring possibly.

Just brain storming. Without the wiring diagrams in front of me I cant picture what all is different between the two.

J.
ya i thought of that but i would still need the state logic for the gauge to get the right signal from the serial data 2 wire from the pcm.. i guess the only real difference is that the 98 gets all its gauges wires from most of the sensor themselves.. while the 2000 gets all that gauge signals from one one and splits it off after the state logic.. thanks for helping with the brain storming..
Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Your temp gauge doesn't work either, unless you used the 98 sensor and added the extra wire to the harness

You need to swap the fuel segment part of the tune with one from an Express van, so it outputs the fuel level signal on the correct pin of the PCM, instead of up the class 2 data buss. Then you need to run a wire from that pin to the input wire for your fuel gauge. Most guys repin their 98 harness for the newer PCM, that way they only have to more some wires around and not have to run any new ones
well so far i got every gauge to work besides the fuel gauge.. i put a separate 98 coolant temp sensor on the passenger side cylinder head.. gauge is way more accurate then my 2000 was.. and for the tach i just jumped it off of the white wire from the right front passenger harness, think its for traction control or cruise control or something. well i thought it was easier just taking everything off my 2000 and slapping it in the 98.. went ok so far besides the fuel gauge lol.. so if i get hptuners and swap the fuel files.. what pinout will the fuel gauge signal be? the same as from the 98? i have pin-out diagram for both 98 and 2000.. thanks for the help man, hope to get this figured out.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by highway21
l.. so if i get hptuners and swap the fuel files.. what pinout will the fuel gauge signal be? the same as from the 98? i have pin-out diagram for both 98 and 2000.. thanks for the help man, hope to get this figured out.
The pin is the same as the express van pin, I'd have to look it up.
Unless Bill (at HP Tuner) has had them add this new and exciting feature of segment swaps, you either have to send them the 2 files and have them do it, or get something like Tunercat or Efi Live, that can do segment swaps.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

would efilive be btr to tune with or hptuners? .. b4 i buy any of the two would like to know which one is best

Quick Reply: "solid state logic"