Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 5.3 Vortec installed with T5 WC/66 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2008 5.3 Vortec installed with T5 WC/66 Chevelle

I am trying to understand how or if I can mate a 2008 5.3 Vortec from Silveado to a T5 Tranny (currently in my chevelle) from an 84 Camaro. I know the bellhousing will bolt up, minus two bolt holes, but the flywheel is smaller than the automatic Flexplate, and the bolt pattern is different....What exactly would I need to complete this project?

Thanks!!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Not too many have mated a T5, since most GM are non-WC used for V6 motors.
What's your T5 input shaft length, spline count, pilot bushing diameter?
Keisler will have a bell housing for the 168 tooth flywheel. Did you want to use the 153 tooth flywheel and housing. That's a tough one to make work.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Teching In

I was hoping to use what I have to keep the cost down....I didn't see a way to use the existing flywheel since the bolt pattern is different than the Vortec. Was wondering if there is an LS flywheel that will bolt to the Vortec that would allow me to use the Camaro bellhousing....but I am in uncharted waters here. Traveling for the next two weeks so I cannot get the spline count or length of the input shaft.....
Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

i tried, and after i added up all the odds and ends it wasnt worth it. I ended up picking up a complete t56 for 800. From flywheel to shifter.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The 84 Camaro bellhousing fits the 153 tooth SBC flywheel. A 168 tooth flywheel won't work because of starter clearance primarily. I don't recall if it fits the bellhousing otherwise.

If it does, try and find a starter for the LS which has no nose cone surrounding the pinion gear. These exist for the SBC ('90 Vette) but I don't know if they do for the LS engines.

Or just get a Lakewood which will fit the 168 and starter, adjustable pivot ball and extended pilot bushing.

Last edited by jmd; 11-30-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I attempted to put a 168 on my 84 when I blew up the L69/305.... I then stuck a 350 in it and tried the larger Flywheel, but the stock T5 bellhousing would not fit over the flywheel.. end of story!...
Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Teching In

I've got the transmission figured out....turned out to be pretty simple....I am now working on fitting the engine in my 66 chevelle. Has anybody made this work with the truck pan and the stock truck intake? I have draglink clearance issues which I can resolve by raising the engine. Looking for some pics that show how far back I should move the engine and if the truck intake will clear the hood.....Looks like i have to raise the engine about 1/2 inch and if I move the engine back about an inch it will work on the bottom end.....Looking for any ideas/help!!!! Thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm curious, did you use a 621 BBC bell housing with the T5?
I'm doing a 72 442, I think you'll find others have fit the truck intake and alternator under the hood of most A bodies.
Go through the A body sticky, you'll see several options for mounts and oil pans.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Default 66 Chevelle 5.3 Swap

No I did not use the 621 bellhousing yet. I have an old truck bellhousing that fits the larger flywheel and was used with the 307/4 speed saginaw that was in the in the car when I bought it. It fits the T5 also since the stock Camaro was too small. Need to pick up a clutch and some bolts, but it looks like the tranny will fit together OK....I'll keep searching....I've been told this is a drop in, but looks a little tight at present...

Thanks!!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Most of the truck trans had a larger diameter front bearing retainer. If your bell housing was machined for the larger bearing retainer, the trans will fit. However, it will not locate the input shaft accurately enough. The trans bearing retainer should fit snugly in the bell housing. Just something to check befor you bolt everything up.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

I thought the T-5 bellhousing for the Camaro clocked the transmission. Will your shifter end up in the right position with a standard (straight up) bellhousing?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Yup, forgot to mention that I will have to use a spacer ring with the truck housing, unless I find a BBC car housing before install. The truck housing hole is larger than the transmission retainer as you mention! Thanks!!

Last edited by mserges; 01-16-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by usc2001gc
I thought the T-5 bellhousing for the Camaro clocked the transmission. Will your shifter end up in the right position with a standard (straight up) bellhousing?
Still working on the transmission mounting...If I mount the transmission straight up the shifter ends up straight up too...in the center of the tunnel. The only part that is angled is the transmission mount....looking for ideas to deal witih this....custom mounting/ weld the cross member perch at an angle.....other ideas? Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mserges
I've got the transmission figured out....turned out to be pretty simple....I am now working on fitting the engine in my 66 chevelle. Has anybody made this work with the truck pan and the stock truck intake? I have draglink clearance issues which I can resolve by raising the engine. Looking for some pics that show how far back I should move the engine and if the truck intake will clear the hood.....Looks like i have to raise the engine about 1/2 inch and if I move the engine back about an inch it will work on the bottom end.....Looking for any ideas/help!!!! Thanks
Still looking for help with mounting the engine and Tranny...I had the engine mounted as far back as I could get it, about 2 inches off the firewall....then the challenge...I thought the T5 would slide right in...but NOOO....with the engine raised and back the the tranny won't fit in the tunnel....so back to the drawing board....I think if I can lower the engine (and avoid the drag link problem) that it will fit without hacking the tunnel....any suggestions? Modify the truck pan? GM Muscle Car Pan? Got all the parts, just need to get the engine/Tranny situated!!!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Is it the trans that hits the tunnel or the bell housing? I'm using a 621 bell housing and a muncie with 1" setback plates (+1/4" spacers) in my 72 cutlass. No clearance problems and the 621 is a pretty big bell housing.
As for an angled trans mount, you can make your own using rubber block spring speaders (Autozone). I can send you a pic of a low profile mount I made for a richmond trans install.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Plenty of room for the bellhousing. The head of the tranny where it mounts to the bellhousing hits on both sides, which a good whack with a hammer might fix, but I am unable get the tail high enough to level the engine out. The tail hits a low part of the tunnel about 4 inches behind the old shifter hump. I think if I could lower the engine an inch or two in the front this would take care of itself. Using the truck pan with the engine mounted a back as far as I could get it to address the drag link issue. I can pull it forward about 2 or 3 inches but then the draglink hits the passanger side of the pan...wondering if I need to consider changing pans....Which oil pan are you using? Yes i would like to see a pic of how you handled the angle mount! Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm using a CTS-V oil pan. No angle mount needed but I made the trans mount below in order to mount a Richmond trans 1/2" lower in the back compared to a standard mount. You could do the same thing with a rubber block cut at 15 degrees.
BTW, my LS/muncie with stock trans crossmember/mount is at 2 1/2 degree down angle in my 72.

Last edited by garys 68; 04-27-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:46 AM
Launching!

Default answers-questions

hey guys, I to would like to know how you guys make out, I was talking to SPEC clutches and he told me that this ls flywheel will fit, part # SC75A and clutch part # SC093H along with my stock through out berring, the difference between the two berrings LS vs stock is 100 thousandths in difference which shouldnt mak a difference? I want to mate my t5wc to my 5.3 in a camaro, would love to get this to work right without any problems, lets try and figure this out!

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3 Vortec installed with T5 WC/66 Chevelle