Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Body Oil Pan measurement needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Question F Body Oil Pan measurement needed

Can someone get me a measurement of the width on an F Body Pan from right to left at the lower front side of the pan where it faces the cross member on an A Body. I plan on notching the rear of my front cross member so I can locate my engine further forward so it is not so cramped at the firewall. Hopefully this will allow me more room at the trans tunnel so I can raise the engine a bit for better tierod clearance and room for drive line angle. I do see in the Sticky that the f body pan is 9 1/2" wide but that looks like a measurement at the mating surface, a smaller cut at the crossmember would be nice.

Thanks, Tony
Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default A quick rough measurment in the dark !

The width of the front sump is 8 1/2".. from the front of the pan to the start of the rear sump...

But note, the F-Body pan has a thread bosses that starts just about 2" back from the front that are about 3" in length... that would make it measure 9 3/8" accross for that section.. Look at the picture attached of the two circles

BC
Attached Thumbnails F Body Oil Pan measurement needed-pan-measurement.jpg  
Old 12-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Launching!

OK BC, so does that photo show the front of the lower rear sump to be 8 5/8" then ? Thats where I want to notch my cross member. The front bosses should clear but I will double check.

Thanks BC, Tony
Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You realize ALL the measurements for the oil pans are up in the stickies at the top of this forum for COnversions and Hybrids. Even handy pictures too.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah..Now you know why we allways said read the Sticky at the top.. LO>...

but not sure why your so concern the measurement.. you are going to want to add 1/2" to an 1" to those measurments on each side.. to allow air and engine movements.. unless your got to have a percise fit of the pan to x-member.. ?.. would not recommend that.. !

I would just make it 12" accross.. start cuttng from the back of the x-member forward, across the front and back down.. 3 sided cut, leaving the back untouched, then hammer it down. Add metal on the sides as filler and weld it up.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Hey Thanks, yeah I guess I was guilty of wanting to make too tight of a cut, I'll go bigger with no problems. Thanks again BC.

Quick Reply: F Body Oil Pan measurement needed