Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99-04 Mustang K member options

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99-04 Mustang K member options

I had a few questions about my K member options for an LSX in a 99-04 Mustang.

I know the AJE k member is made to bolt the LSX motor into a Mustang. But I've also read somewhere that the stock 4.6 K member will work. So I'd imagine that an aftermarket tubular K member for a 4.6 will work, also, right?

If so, what exactly is involved in that? What do I do about mounts?

If this question has been asked before, I apologize. I searched, and maybe I worded the search bad or something, but I didn't find anything on it.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do that but you have to modify everything you buy.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Just have to tweek a set of factory 4.6 mounts and you're good. You will be limited on headers tho or will have to have them made. Fbody pan works perfect as does everything else. Not sure what else one thinks you'd have to modify.... Done these swaps few times now without issue using the 96-04 kmember and mounts. Turbo'd one, na for another. Nothing else needs any modifying that is not also required when using one of the kemembers built specifically for the LS motor in a stang.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Xemeth
If this question has been asked before, I apologize. I searched, and maybe I worded the search bad or something, but I didn't find anything on it.

Thanks.
Search under my screen name. I have a MM K-member. Fits like a glove.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Teching In

What did you do for mounts? Modified stock 4.6 mounts? I don't mind modifying a little bit, but I don't want to have to custom make too much stuff.

The only reason I'm asking is I found a good deal on a qa1 tubular k member with a-arms and coil overs, and if I could make that work, it'd be relatively cheaper than an AJE k member.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Xemeth
What did you do for mounts? Modified stock 4.6 mounts? I don't mind modifying a little bit, but I don't want to have to custom make too much stuff.

The only reason I'm asking is I found a good deal on a qa1 tubular k member with a-arms and coil overs, and if I could make that work, it'd be relatively cheaper than an AJE k member.
For the mounts, you take a file to the forward upper bolt hole and make it slightly longer (up/down). For the rear upper bolt hole you have to extend the metal 1" and drill a hole. If you have a MIG welder it's a piece of cake. I made custom solid mounts for mine because it was easier than tearing apart the passenger side headers (I don't like messing with tubing). I then sold the factory mounts.

As far as QA1 and AJE, well, what can I say? For me it's MM or nothing. If you could put all 3 K-members side by side you would understand. It's like comparing the Space Shuttle to a Scud missile.

I sent pictures of my setup to MM and they were interested in producing motor mounts. Whether or not that will happen, who knows. They get a lot of requests for a K-member for LS swap. I told them it's simple: use the 4.6 K-member as is and modify factory mounts.

Quick Reply: 99-04 Mustang K member options