Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW PCM flashing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMW PCM flashing?

I'll also post this in the swap section but....

After my Silverado got totalled out (guy made an illegal left turn in front of me and caused me to T-bone him), the insurance company paid out a good sum of money (paid me for near all my mods). So now what I would really like to do is a Z3 with an F-body takeout LS1/T56.

My plan is to run the engine on the f-body PCM while leaving the BMW PCM in place to operate all the "car" stuff (everything from lights/alarm/gauges/etc. to doing the OBDII scan). My hope is that I could somehow get all the engine codes turned off to make a "dumb" BMW PCM that would then get me through the OBDII scans we do in AZ.

BMW PCM:

tap into LS1 crank signal to provide tach info
tap into T56 speedo signal to provide speedo info
install a BMW Oil pressure sensor to provide oil pressure
etc... you get the idea...

I want the BMW PCM to "work" but just not be involved in RUNNING the engine (ie: I clip off all the outputs that would go to the engine) and turn off the codes to match. I then need to run some form of O2Simulator on the after CAT O2s so it THINKS everything working as factory.

Now that I have made that super confusing, the simple question is "Where do I get some form of software like HPTuners/EFILive that I can work on the BMW PCM?"

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 AM
Staging Lane

I dont know why you would want to retain the BMW ECU. It will do nothing with the BMW engine out. The only non engine diagnostics on the car is the airbag which is fed straight to the D100 diagnostic connector, nothing to do with the ECU. You can feed the tacho out from the GM computer to the dash. Vehicle speed comes from a sensor on the diff and is separate to the engine ECU. Most doing Z3/E36 swaps fit a second coolant sensor and use this for the dash signal. If you want to know how I have wired up my Z3 to get all the gauges to work sent me pm.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 01-20-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Deano1712
I dont know why you would want to retain the BMW ECU. It will do nothing with the BMW engine out. The only non engine diagnostics on the car is the airbag which is fed straight to the D100 diagnostic connector, nothing to do with the ECU. You can feed the tacho out from the GM computer to the dash. Vehicle speed comes from a sensor on the diff and is separate to the engine ECU. Most doing Z3/E36 swaps fit a second coolant sensor and use this for the dash signal. If you want to know how I have wired up my Z3 to get all the gauges to work sent me pm.
Cheers,
Mark
Thanks Mark. I'll be PMing you lots over time to take advantage of your experience.

So if I'm understanding it right, the BMW PCM does not feed the gauges with any info? That really helps out a lot if the BMW gauges are "standalone". In the LS1 F-bodies, everything for the gauges comes from the computer.

My REASON for "keeping" the BMW PCM in the car is Emissions. In Phoenix OBDII cars DO NOT have to do a roller test AS LONG AS the OBDII scan port is working and shows the emissions systems are working. In order for me to do this, the under dash scan port needs to be hooked to the BMW PCM because the first thing that is scanned is a confirmation that the car is what it is (the scanning computer will look to see that the PCM in the car is a BMW PCM with the correct VIN#).

With the emissions game in mind (and based on your saying the BMW PCM is only there for running the engine), it sounds like all I need is the BMW PCM to be "working" to the extent that all codes are removed, the computer is always in a "readiness state", and hooked to the data port. This is what I did with my Camaro when I went to a FAST XFI to run the engine. I turned off all the codes in he factory Z28 computer and relocated it to the trunk with only power, ground, SES light, and data port connected. Passed emissions.