Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New mechanical speedometer drive solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New mechanical speedometer drive solution

Someone told me there is a new mechanical speedometer drive that runs off vss signal to a drive motor on the back of your mech. speedometer but without the drive cable.Supposedly it will run gauges also.$150.Dont know the details.It was an ad in car craft but I can't find the issue.Anyone else see this or have any info on it?
The following users liked this post:
Younus Ali (12-03-2020)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be great!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

If we're on the same page, check out Hawk's Third Generation web site. There is mechanical speedo to vss conversion parts there in the LS conversion section. It's not $150.00 though. Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
If we're on the same page, check out Hawk's Third Generation web site. There is mechanical speedo to vss conversion parts there in the LS conversion section. It's not $150.00 though. Hope this helps.
No thats not it,thats like a cable x,the one I'm talking about mounts directly on the back of your mech. speedometer and eliminates the cable.I hope this is correct.I cant find the issue of car craft that has it,someone that has all the recent issues can look through them and see if they can find it.This is second hand info to me so I'm just hoping it's right.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

I tried.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Let us know if you find it. What was on the cover?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know,a friend of mine saw it and now can't find the issue.I will post up anything I find out about it,I sure hope he's right.Car craft has a lot about ls swaps and stuff here latley.May have to get a subscripton.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure if this is the unit you are looking for. But i found this unit while looking for a cheaper solution. I just cant find anyone that's used it or any reviews at all.

http://www.dragonaero.com/SpeedChang...anicalPage.htm
Old 03-24-2011, 12:24 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don`t remember seeing anything in car-craft, hot rod, or chevy high performance, I must have missed it.

I did look into the dragon aero one a bit, but IIRC you needed to buy a secondary electronic ratio adapter box that made it as expensive as the cable X. For the last few cars I did, I hid electronic speedo guts behind the stock face
Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

How hard is electronic guts behind stock face?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jc1965
I'm not sure if this is the unit you are looking for. But i found this unit while looking for a cheaper solution. I just cant find anyone that's used it or any reviews at all.

http://www.dragonaero.com/SpeedChang...anicalPage.htm
I called the guy about the speedchanger mechanical last week. He told me about a year ago he would have it ready to ship in a month. Now he say it will ship when ready, no expected completion date. Also, he has raised the price on his website to $350, it used to be $125 if I recall correctly.

Sounds like an excellent product, time will tell. I am on the "waiting list" to be contacted when available.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:49 PM

Depends on the car and which speedo you pick. I used an autometer 120mph on the first car. On my el camino I had to redrill the mounting holes on the face and print out a new face (went from 85mph to 120 speedo) and then notch some of the inner dash structure.

since then I found that the late 80`s early 90`s GM trucks have an 85mph speedo that looks like it will bolt right to the back of the factory face. I have 2 different cars that I am going to try that on over the next couple months.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Same Here

Originally Posted by neal64ss
I called the guy about the speedchanger mechanical last week. He told me about a year ago he would have it ready to ship in a month. Now he say it will ship when ready, no expected completion date. Also, he has raised the price on his website to $350, it used to be $125 if I recall correctly.

Sounds like an excellent product, time will tell. I am on the "waiting list" to be contacted when available.
Same story that guy has been singing for at least 2 years, I contacted him about 2 years ago and it was always next week then next month, I think his set up was going to be similar to the cable x I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for his product.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, I talked to him too.He said it was out of stock and put me on a list to call.It looks to be a great idea though,much better than the cable x to me .It has a small box that receives the vss signal that you can calabrate no matter what your gear ratio.This box in turn runs a small electric motor that screws directly on the back of your mechanical speedometer and spins it at the correct mph.It totaly eliminates the drive cable,sounds like a great idea to me if they get it done.According to him it will also run a factory tac as well.Looks like it would be an easier and better way to go than trying to run it through an org.speedometer cable.What about it ,any electronic gurus out there?Build it and make a ton of money!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never understood why those things are so expensive.

But I imagine if I ever tried to make one I would find out.

Can't be a big market so I'm sure that isn't helping.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Basicly its the same principal as the cable x only it eliminates the speedo drive cable and mounts directly on the mech.speedometer.It shouldn't need a very big or powerful electric motor when you eliminate the cable.Dosen't look like it would be too bad to build,of course thats easy for me to say isn't it.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Does anyone know the signal voltage the vss sends out? I've messed with the Arduino(google it) unit a bit on another project. I've all ready integrated it with a stepper motor that I can completely control through software. All I'd really need to do is interpret the vss signal and turn the stepper motor to the appropriate position. I could probably grab a stepper motor from a newer auto speedometer and control it. There would be a little fab work involved, but i think its very possible to DIY this one. I'll have to do some more research this weekend.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

I am not sharp enough on electronics to do it but I am very interested if you can figure it out. I think many electronic speedos actually work like this.It would be a major help in the ls into/old car swaps if somone can figuer it out.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 PM

The VSS output from the PCM is a 4000 pulse per mile square wave signal. Not sure what the voltage is though.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a 0 to 5 volt square wave that varies the frequency with measured RPM.

The electronics wil be the relatively easy part. I think the challange will be sourcing a variable speed motor that is up to the job. Underdash also means it can't be too big.

Quick Reply: New mechanical speedometer drive solution