Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 Camaro thinking of going LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 Camaro thinking of going LS

So my buddy likes the ls based 5.3 that I am doing in my nova. He is wanting to do the same thing in his 68 camaro. I have done some research on here but if you guys can help please do.

Can he keep the stock 4 speed? Or should he just go T56? Any floor mods.

Best place to buy headers and mount? S&P.

Any cutting to run ac?

Pease let me now what problems arise in installing one of these in 1 gen camaro.

Thxs for your help.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im doing the same swap right now and I have a rebuilt super t10 but by the time I buy the clutch pressure plate,bellhousing adapter etc its really probably wise for a few hundred more to pick up a 6 speed,im going through the same **** right now,it sucks,all it is is money money money,everything is expensive, Every time i sneeze at my car its 500 buck,what ever happened to putting a whole ride together for 5000, those days are long gone, Personally I would sell the 4 speed and buy a 6 speed but thats just me,remember gas isnt getting any cheaper,if your friend does decide to do it let me know which way he went with headers and mounts etc
Old 04-11-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It should be the same swap problems or process for 1st Gen F-Body and 3rd gen X-Body. same subframe and suspession parts. Fireway is pertty much the same, Trans Tunnel might have some different shape.. but nothing really different.

If your going to running standard or 1" setback plates. you can not run the OEM AC compressor in its location, the plates will come into contact it it. I would recommend relocating the compressor to the passenger side head location. (unless you run Early Style BRP plates, then you can notch the frame and it will work out). Some have flipped the plates and mounts to clear.

Go with a T56.. the money you save on gas on trips will pay you back, its going to be $5 a gallon pertty soon !.. you can also run a lower rear gear and still have good mileage.

Ive use Edelbrock swap headers on both of my swap. but they don't make them anymore. S&P, Hooker, and many other make swap heads now. but make sure they are designed to work with your plates.