Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering help

Just got my 68 firebird LS1 project running. Tried to road test it and while backing out of the garage, found I had no power steering. Pump is there, belt and fluid. (there was a squealing *like a belt* but I could not located it). Prior to installation, the pump was dry and had been on the shelf for a year plus (donor from a 1991 vette), so It had no fluid when I started. I topped it off beforer starting the car for the first time and later found the fluid was low so I topped it off again and it still didn't work. Is there a priming procedure for the pump? The lines are installed correctly and there are no leaks from the pump or lines. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Power steering help-ls1-my-68.jpg  
Old 05-19-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Standard priming procedure: With the front wheel off the ground, start the engine and turn the wheels lock to lock at least ten times while checking/adding fluid as necessary.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Standard priming procedure: With the front wheel off the ground, start the engine and turn the wheels lock to lock at least ten times while checking/adding fluid as necessary.
I completed the standard priming procedure and no luck, do I assume the the pump is bad? Thanks for your help.

MIKE
Old 05-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

This may sound dumb, but any chance the pulley is just spinning on the shaft and that is the squeling sound you're hearing?

Quick Reply: Power steering help