Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for my LS2 swap and 4L60E rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Preparing for my LS2 swap and 4L60E rebuild

Hi everyone, I'm not sure where exactly this belongs, but I'll be documenting my build in this thread. I have an A4 2002 Z28 Camaro that has 165,xxx miles on it. I was in the market to get a new car to replace it with a Chevrolet Cruze for better fuel economy. However I quickly changed my mind and decided that it wasn't time for me to part with my Camaro, and it would be cheaper to replace my aged LS1 with a new crate LS2 engine and while I'm at it, rebuild my transmission. I was planning on spending 25,000 on my fully loaded Cruze, however that's slightly out of my budget.

So next month I'm going to invest $10,000 on the new engine/transmission. I already have a shop in mind to help me through the build. It's a local Corvette shop that has worked on many, many Corvette's so they should be well versed in both the engine and the transmission. I've read the LS1 to LS2 swap thread and it provide some basic information, but I was hoping that someone could provide me some links on where I could get an affordable crate LS2 and also what parts I will need (or should replace) to accompany the engine swap. Thanks and I hope you all are as excited as I am to see this in progress.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone? My LS1 seized today so I need to start getting parts for this.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Is this a 58x or 24x LS2?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 06-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure, I don't have it yet. I'm looking for a place to order the engine and any other accompaning parts, such as throttle body, fllywheel, etc. I'm not sure which LS2 I need I just need one that'll fit in my 2002 Z28.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely do a LS3 swap, and have Rossler build you a tranny. Either one of their 4l60's or 4l80's. Maybe even a 6l80.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Did you want to switch to drive by wire or keep the drive by cable?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All new sensors, especially the front O2's.

Order a long block from HKE or another sponser w/24x crank.
heads and cam will be based on what you want to do with it and local tuners ability.
Might consider VA speed crate and canned tune stuck in your pcm.

LS2&3 will need knock sensor and cam sensor extension harnesses from SD or someone else and front and valley covers also.

102/102 for stroker cranks, 90 or 92 for stock crank builds to save some cash. TPIS can convert your stock intake to 90mm also.

If you plan on putting a lot of miles on it, consider a shorter 3.8xx stroke from AES or a stock stroke LS3 build.

4xx cid should get a 4" CAI.

Strokers will be choked if you don't put bigger exhaust on it.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

I thought about doing an LS3 swap, but keep in mind I have a $10,000 budget to stick to and that includes labor. I want to definitely get a full exhaust for the new engine, stall my rebuilt transmission, 3.73 gears, and an underdrive. I haven't done much research as far as heads and cam goes, but I'm wanting about 500 rwhp when I'm done with this car, not necessarily now, but at some point. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know the pros/cons to drive by wire vs. drive by cable, haven't really researched it. However I'll probably change it to drive by wire since my cable is kind of loose and liable to mess up at some point.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Essentially I want a driveable LS2/LS3 powered car. I'm not terribly concerned with performance heads and cam yet, if I can get away with factory LS3 heads/cam then I will. Like I said I have to order the block, rebuild my transmission, pay for labor, and make sure everything is functional afterwards under $10,000. Will I have to order a new ECU? Also, will I need a new gauge cluster/recalibration? Because the new engine will rev about 1,000 RPM's higher if I'm not mistaken.

Quick Reply: Preparing for my LS2 swap and 4L60E rebuild