Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic car conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned Scammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic car conversion questions

Ok so i found a 70 chevelle for cheap and a ls1/t56 combo for a good deal as well..
Now ive read around and all i seem to find are progression threads
So. I figure alot of custom work would need to be done along with some massaging of the body.
Will i need the wiring? Custom made headers?
Will i nee a new crossmember?
???
Thanks
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

You might get LS1 Camaro/Firebird headers to fit - they fit my car after I used a hammer.

Depending on where you place the motor there is a chance you can keep your crossmember - with an automatic sometimes you can change tailshaft housings. I made my crossmember, ain't pretty but it works.

Read a lot and plan on getting GOOD at wiring if you want it to run
Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a lot of information for A-Body Swaps..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...2-gm-body.html

Wiring
1) convert the LS1 to a standalone. Lots of info on pin out and wiring in the FAQ
2) buy a new standalone harness or a converted one

Crossmember
1) I was able to use my TH350, flip it around, cut the tab off and rewelded it back where I needed it.
2) Buy a kit to make one
3) Buy a custom one (G-Force ?) or buy a complete swap kit (BRP?)

Headers
1) you can go Custom if you want
2) Swap headers by many of the vendors and manufactors
3) Use 4th Gen F-Body headers.. some fit well, some need minor modification.

Research the A-Body FAQ then ask your questions..

Good Luck.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 PM

There are plenty of conversion headers on the market, Doug's, eddlebrock, hooker to name a few. I used Doug's long tube LS1 conversion headers on my 68 camaro LS1 swap and I had a big issue with the power steering box and a minor issue with the passenger side upper control arm. I would investigate fitment in these 2 areas before committing to a certain brand.

A custom crossmember is a must, but I had one made at a local shop for like $200,the guy was done in like 4 hrs. This would be the route I'd take if doing it over. I originally bought the adjustable one from ATS, but it was flimsy and bowed over time.

Aso for the wiring, you can get buy a standalone wiring harness from a company like Painless for around 600 (ouch!) but I've seen mixed reviews with these and way too expensive. I just got a hold of a stock wiring harness and sent it in to a guy on ebay, he hacked it up and made it standalone in like 2 weeks, about $200 buck shipped. No problems so far! I considered doing it myself but I think this is best left to someone who knows what they are doing (and I'm usually good with electronics)

Custom work and massaging of the body? I didn't have to do much she just about dropped right in! Custom driveshaft, engine mount adapter plates (get the expensive ones) and I had to notch my oil pan (done by street & performance for around $180). Not too hard. And I imagine there's more room under the hood of chevelle than a camaro.

Oh and feel free to get an aggressive rear gear set. I have 3.73's and I criuse at 70mph at 1700rpm with the 6 speed. Wish I did 4.11's!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:04 AM
TECH Resident

First thing get as much as you can with the engine/tranny (wiring, acc, etc). Second I fully believe that anyone on here that has the abilities to transplant a ls into one of the cars has the ability to do their own harness. There are plenty of threads on here to help you out I will post some of the threads that helped me a lot. As far as headers I found that the pacesetter off road for a 4th gen fit very well. And with the crossmember I cut the trans mount part off bolted the crossmember in and flipped the mount over and trimmed it til it fit well and welded it back on. With the t56 you will have to cut the floor as well.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

Here is those links.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...chematics.html

http://chevythunder.com/19992002_ls1...nk%20Connector
Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Another option to converting the stock harness is to buy new (as stated above). We are still offering free shipping on new harnesses, IN STOCK!

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Banned Scammer

Anybody have a name on the stock harness converter guy?

Quick Reply: Classic car conversion questions