Sponsored by:

LSX in a '68 Javelin

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LSX in a '68 Javelin

Hello all,

New here but not to automotive forums. There is a wealth of knowledge here with tons to absorb. I have a '68 Javelin with a mild 343 with a TKO 600 modified by modular mustang racing to handle anything I could possibly throw at it. It is all well but the money it would take to take that 343 or any AMC engine for that matter into the 11's reliably is just unreasonable to me. I am also not thrilled with the TKO trans but that is a story for another day.

I have some questions that I hope you guys can answer. I have a crossmember that I purchased to swap a standard 350 sbc into a Javelin. What would be needed to make an LS work in that spot? I am assuming from what I have read just a set of sliding engine mounts from one of the parts house.

I am thinking of a 5.3 mated to a T56 as a start. I cant break the bank on this swap and I dont care if the engine bay is "pretty" so other than that I see no need to swap in the LS1 for the extra cost. I already have a hydraulic clutch set-up for the TKO so I am thinking little is needed to make the T56 work behind the 5.3.

I am looking to pick up a 5.3, its harness, computer and probably the pedal for the drive by wire system. Is there anything I am missing?
I have a fuel system that would need tweaking. I have an RCI fuel cell with 1/2" line to the front of the car. I know I would need a return and upgraded pump but I feel like something else is missing. Any suggestions on this end of things?

I have a nice 4 core radiator with 2 spal electric fans that kept the 343 right around 170 degrees. I think i am set with the cooling side of things.
As far as the stock harness goes from what I have read I basically just cut everything peripheral off and just retain the bare necessities to make the engine run. I am sure I could find a tuner here on Long Island to flash the ECM to my needs(any suggestions here would be nice as well).

Suggestions, comments, answers and questions are all welcome,

Thanks in advance,

Larry
Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '73 Hornet that I am planning on doing a LSX swap on in the spring. It would be nice to follow what you are planning to do. There aren't too many AMC guys left out there
Old 07-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Teching In

The ones that are around are usually die hard stocker type guys. Picked up the crossmember for free from someone who took the small block out of their Javelin. I am going to document things as much as I can. The car really doesnt have too much stock at this point. Just front suspension at this point really. I am hoping there will be some guys on here with some good feedback to get me started and in the right direction.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

I put a 99 LS1 and 6 speed in my 66 Rambler American. Fit snug but really well. Had to shorten the steering column tube for clearance. Made my own motor mounts on the stock six banger crossmember. Had to notch the rear of the crossmember a little to clear the oil pan. Moved the stock trans crossmember to the rear to make it work. I'll try to post some pics. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:13 PM

I am working on a LQ4 and 4L80E into a 1970 amc javelin , I have the engine mounted but need to lift the tranny tunnel a cpl inches ,
Old 09-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Pictures. I want to see pictures.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:42 PM

Default Motormounts

Hi im planning for a engineswap in my 1970 javelin want to use everything from a Chevy ssr 6.0 ls 2. Do you know were to find motormounts? Best regards Martin from Sweden
Old 12-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Default 1968 javelin LS swap steering

Originally Posted by Old Kid
I put a 99 LS1 and 6 speed in my 66 Rambler American. Fit snug but really well. Had to shorten the steering column tube for clearance. Made my own motor mounts on the stock six banger crossmember. Had to notch the rear of the crossmember a little to clear the oil pan. Moved the stock trans crossmember to the rear to make it work. I'll try to post some pics. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I have a 68 javelin, swapped the straight 6 for ls1, using a mustang II front suspension and shortie headers with a t56 transmission. Running into issues with a steering column fitting any recommendations on which to buy would be helpful. Feel free to email ewhited1@gmail.com
Old 12-14-2019, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Be a little more specific about "issues with a steering column fitting"
Old 01-20-2020, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Default Steering column

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Be a little more specific about "issues with a steering column fitting"
Any suggestions on a steering column for a 68 javelin. I have an LS1 with a t56 that I swapped but the column is hitting the engine mount. Also running into issues with a pedal assembly the ones used in an LS1 are too short, any suggestions?
Old 01-20-2020, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Any way to put U-joints in the steering shaft?
Old 01-22-2020, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Ethan,

I sent you an email a few weeks ago. Here is what my steering set-up looks like. See this thread for more pics: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ommencing.html

Larry

Last edited by Javelin343; 01-22-2020 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added link
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (01-22-2020)

Quick Reply: LSX in a '68 Javelin