Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Guru Question...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question A/C Guru Question...?

F-Body computer controlled LS1 w/Sanden 508 A/C system in a '96 GMC pick-up. Start up truck in driveway, turn on A/C, compressor kicks on & never kicks off. Ever. Take truck for a ride around town & compressor cycles off-on-off-on-off-on continuously, every 2 seconds. Both scenarios producing cold a/c. According to the gauge on the freon recharge can, the system is full & doesn't show any additional freon added on the gauge, even though I attempt to add more. Dual fans work perfectly. Have both accumalator cycling switch, and F-Body hi-pressure sensor plumbed into high side a/c line. Whats my problem? Oriface valve in the condenser line plugged, or? Very much appreciate any input you might have. Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Is the LS1 ecu (designed for variable displacement compressor) controling the fixed displacement Sanden compressor?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off-on-off suggests high pressure in the condensor and the high pressure switch is cycling. But, it is a question when it runs all the time while you are setting still, unless the rpm is low and the compressor will not develop enough pressure to cycle the high switch. You might have too much freon in the system.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Do you know your hi and lo pressures?

I've found this forum to be very helpful for automotive AC systems. You may want to ask your question there: http://www.acsource.net/acforum/view...b2d137bad23587
Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by garys 68
Is the LS1 ecu (designed for variable displacement compressor) controling the fixed displacement Sanden compressor?
Yes, it is. Why?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Do you know your hi and lo pressures?

I've found this forum to be very helpful for automotive AC systems. You may want to ask your question there: http://www.acsource.net/acforum/view...b2d137bad23587
No, don't know my low & high pressures yet, but will get a set of gauges on it & let you know a.s.a.p. Thanks for the website Bandit.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GTMLS3
Off-on-off suggests high pressure in the condensor and the high pressure switch is cycling. But, it is a question when it runs all the time while you are setting still, unless the rpm is low and the compressor will not develop enough pressure to cycle the high switch. You might have too much freon in the system.
Can I bleed a very small amount of freon off at a time, to see if it helps, or how would I do this properly? Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

It`s against the law to bleed freon to the atmosphere, you have to do a recovery of freon to a tank
Old 07-29-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

The low pressure side of my Classic and Vintage Air re designed to operate at around 6 psi. The variable displacement compressors are designed to operate around 30 psi (low side). I'm guessing your ecu is working perfectly, it's just the compressor design that doesn't match.
I'm running Sandens off tha binary switch without the ecu on both my LS swaps, no problem.
Also, are you running any thermostat control on your setup (air temp)?
Originally Posted by LS1GMCTruck
Yes, it is. Why?

Last edited by garys 68; 07-29-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by garys 68
The low pressure side of my Classic and Vintage Air re designed to operate at around 6 psi. The variable displacement compressors are designed to operate around 30 psi (low side). I'm guessing your ecu is working perfectly, it's just the compressor design that doesn't match.
I'm running Sandens off tha binary switch without the ecu on both my LS swaps, no problem.
Also, are you running any thermostat control on your setup (air temp)?
Gary...I thought this was a common application, using the Sanden 508 compressor, with the F-Body(0411) computer? No? Like I said, I AM using the F-body hi-pressure sensor, like everyone else. Am I missing something here?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Default Got A Set Of A/C Gauges...

...and hooked them up. Before I even started the truck up for the first time, I hooked up the gauges. Low side read 32 psi...High side read 33 psi. Started it up & turned on the air... Blows cold, at an idle...Low side now is +8 psi, high side is +58 psi. Compressor NEVER cycles off. Fast idle, low drops to "0" or even less. High goes to +68...compressor still never turning off. Disconnect everything & get in the truck & go for a city drive again. Compressor begins cycling on-off-on-off-on-off again. Accumalator & low pressure hose & fittings are cold & sweating. High pressure hose & fittings going forward to the condensor are so hot you can't touch them. Compressor also "extremely" hot. Any ideas, now that we have the PSI readings? Thanks again guys.

Last edited by LS1GMCTruck; 08-03-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Default Another angle...

I was doing some forum research, and read that a fellow was having transmission tailstock VSS sender problems, due to an oil leak, that was drowning his sensor with oil, from a engine or tranny oil leak. Does the 0411 F-body computer use any input from the VSS sender, with regards to A/C control? Weird sounding, but I had to ask, lol. Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

...and hooked them up. Before I even started the truck up for the first time, I hooked up the gauges. Low side read 32 psi...High side read 33 psi. Started it up & turned on the air... Blows cold, at an idle...Low side now is +8 psi, high side is +58 psi. Compressor NEVER cycles off. Fast idle, low drops to "0" or even less. High goes to +68...compressor still never turning off. Disconnect everything & get in the truck & go for a city drive again. Compressor begins cycling on-off-on-off-on-off again. Accumalator & low pressure hose & fittings are cold & sweating. High pressure hose & fittings going forward to the condensor are so hot you can't touch them. Compressor also "extremely" hot. Any ideas, now that we have the PSI readings? Thanks again guys.
With the engine off, low and high side are at unity (equal) at 32 psi? That is LOW. If I assume the truck is at ambient (let it sit overnight), at 80 degF OD temp, r134a should be at the upper 80's.
At idle, suction (low side) is 8psi and discharge (high) is 58 psi? R134a saturated at 8 psi is about 4 degF; 58 psi saturated is about 60 degF. Even with the discharge at 68 psi that is only 68 degF. Are you reading pressure correctly at your gage manifold?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually most have tried the OEM variable displacement compressor with aftermarket AC systems. Results in that case seem to be decreased efficiency due to desing system pressures being different.
I just use the Vintage or Classic air system (sanden compressor) with trinary switches to control the compressor and fan. No problems and simple.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Vintage air recommends checking pressures with the engine at 1500 rpm. Normal range:
Low 6-12 psi
High 160-250 psi (general rule of thumb, two times the ambient temperature plus 15-20 %)
center vent output temperature should be 36-46 degrees
Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

F-Body computer controlled LS1 w/Sanden 508 A/C system in a '96 GMC pick-up. Start up truck in driveway, turn on A/C, compressor kicks on & never kicks off. Ever. Take truck for a ride around town & compressor cycles off-on-off-on-off-on continuously, every 2 seconds. Both scenarios producing cold a/c. According to the gauge on the freon recharge can, the system is full & doesn't show any additional freon added on the gauge, even though I attempt to add more. Dual fans work perfectly. Have both accumalator cycling switch, and F-Body hi-pressure sensor plumbed into high side a/c line. Whats my problem? Oriface valve in the condenser line plugged, or? Very much appreciate any input you might have. Thanks
what evaporator do you have? Stock or aftermarket?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:17 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are low on freon. Sounds like you are probably running 134a so make sure that your low pressure switch it set to cut out at 21psi. Next charge it till your low pressure side reaches at least 21psi running at whatever RPM your motor runs at normally on the highway. ( I prefer to charge till the low side reaches 28 psi that way I know I am running the evap core at ~32 degrees F and don`t have to worry about the system freezing up). Charging the low side to 28 psi does mean it will probably run at almost 40psi at idle which reduces the A/C`s efficiency at idle but it also reduces the risk of your compressor cycling on the highway which is hard on the clutch.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Not to hijack but, ls1gmctruck do you have any pics of your setup? Im tring to get my brothers a/c in his 95 going after a 5.3 swap and was thinking about going this route.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:35 PM
QTB
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hodge
With the engine off, low and high side are at unity (equal) at 32 psi? That is LOW. If I assume the truck is at ambient (let it sit overnight), at 80 degF OD temp, r134a should be at the upper 80's.
At idle, suction (low side) is 8psi and discharge (high) is 58 psi? R134a saturated at 8 psi is about 4 degF; 58 psi saturated is about 60 degF. Even with the discharge at 68 psi that is only 68 degF. Are you reading pressure correctly at your gage manifold?
I agree, if your system is 134a and you only have 32psi with the engine off you don't even have any liquid refrigerent in the system under this condition, it's all vapor. You may get some liquid once you start the engine but your charge is very low.

The on off on off condition may be due to a low pressure sensor, though I'm not sure if these systems have them are not.

Last edited by QTB; 08-10-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 08-10-2011, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

I dont think your condensor is working correctly, your system is not acting like a normal system, check for a blockage.

Quick Reply: A/C Guru Question...?