Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust issues, suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust issues, suggestions needed

Ok, so once again to give a few details, 4.8 vortec going into a 1987 Cadillac Brougham.

I bought new exhaust manifold for a truck and the manifolds barely fit, very close clearance to the frame. But I am pretty sure the flange for the exhaust won't fit.

I am attaching a picture below where you can see one of the studs installed properly and the stud where the clearance issue is, is installed from the opposite side. I also put a nut on it so you can see how bad it is.
Now I don't want to notch the frame. Can anyone suggest a cheap solution. I can't see anything else but buying headers or the other solution below.
If my only solution to buy headers what is a header brand that is decent for the money and the outlet is closer to the block?

The other thing I was thinking of is loosening the engine mounts and transmission mount and take advantage of hole tolerances and try to rotate the engine and get the few degrees needed. If I do that, is it possible that due to vibrations and other forces, the engine will come back to its initial position and the exhaust will damage the frame?

Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The exhaust won`t really damage the frame, it could rub against it and wear away at the frame....but the biggest thing it that it would form a massive rattle that would drive you nuts.

It all depends on how creative you want to get. If you are using your own lower flanges and no cats, you might be able to get away with trimming that ear down and retapping another hole. If you try to rotate the engine it may shift your driveline out of alignment and you could get a driveline vibration. If you weren`t worried about being able to unbolt the exhaust there, you could probably grind that entire tab off and weld an exhaust pipe right into the manifold.

I don`t know of any headers that would fit, but I bet that a set of f-body exhaust manifolds would bolt in and clear the frame.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Launching!

unbolt and protect brake line, get a torch and heat frame. use a large dimple hammer and make an indentation in frame to clear the corner of manifold. wont hurt nothing
Old 08-12-2011, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

I had the same issue with my 1946 coupe.

I cut the flanges off the manifold and clocked them to where I had better clearance and welded them back on.

If I had to do it over, I would cut those flanges off and replace them with V band clamps like the turbo guys do.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to tell from just a couple pics but a set of 2010-2011 camaro manifolds may be what you need. Check out this thread, I've got pics posted in 2 different spots. Good luck.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-fox-swap.html
Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Thank you guys for the replies. After posting i read that f-body manifolds might be closer to the engine. I`d rather use manifolds than headers.
Also i really don't want to touch the frame and my welding skills are really not good. I can cut, fit, drill holes, grind away, bang things with a hammer but am not good at welding!
So I am thinking that if I were to have the manifold modified it will get expensive, might as well buy another set of manifolds or headers.
I don't know about the v-clamps and how they look, I will search tonight at home and how they work
Old 08-12-2011, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Shrike,

If you already have those manifolds, and you are considering buying more, why not give it a try modifying the ones you have? Not much to lose. I'm not the best welder either, in fact I'm downright awful, however, I know my way around a grinder to make my welds look a little nicer!

As for V Band Clamps, look here for what I'm talking about.

http://www.jefflilly.com/fabrication/exhaust-system/
Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the link of the V-bands. That looks interesting. I will check the dimensions.

I am not worried about the esthetics of my welds, I am worried about their strength. I can`t even weld steel properly, I imagine cast iron is even harder.

My plan was to sell the manifolds I bought and look for some clean used f-body manifolds. But the V-band idea looks interesting. I will try to find out how they would fit.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for cutting the flange off and using v-bands.

What I did w/ mine is cut the flange off and welded a pipe to the manifold to extend down to where it would be easy to get to the bolt for the v-band.

Also after using so many different ways to connect exhaust over the years I think v-bands are absolutely worth every penny and the "end all" for exhaust.

*edit*

Not sure about welding cast iron myself. I did use f-body manifolds for my project... very easy to modify.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

These appear to be very weldable. They may be steel and not iron.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Launching!

I was thinking of it afterwards and I am probably wrong. It is probably steel but the rough appearance of the casting made me think it is cast iron.
V-bands look easier to work with once they are installed. it is the installation that worries me but I am going to have to check into that with a exhaust shop I know. Anyways, I have to bring my car to them so they make my exhaust!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Ok so an update. 2010 Camaro manifolds are in, I am a lazy bastard, didn't want to try modifying the truck ones.
So the driver side where I had a problem is very good now.
The problem is the other side because the manifolds are shorter and in that area the frame is closer to the engine.
But given that the engine rotates ccw when viewed from the front I might be able to get away with grinding a little bit of the manifold.
If this doesn<t work then Iwill go for those v bands.
I will post a pic in the week end to show the gap

Thanks

Quick Reply: exhaust issues, suggestions needed