Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

original oil pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default original oil pressure sensor

Can you use the original oil pressure sensor located on the back of the block behind the intake?
thanks
Scott
Old 08-28-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of them are only used to input to the BCM for OEM Gauges.. Most will just replace it with an aftermarket Gauge/sender. So unless your using the BCM and Gauges from the Donner car. Your better off with a aftermarket setup.

BC
Old 08-28-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Donner = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

Donor = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donor

Andrew
Old 08-28-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use an old school mechanical oil gauge. I was trying to figure out how to make it work. I pulled the electronics out of the core of the factory oil sender and lo and behold, the hole was exactly the right size for the oil tube from my gauge! I cleaned everything up real good and put a dab of JBWeld on there and it works perfectly!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GNCLONE
I use an old school mechanical oil gauge. I was trying to figure out how to make it work. I pulled the electronics out of the core of the factory oil sender and lo and behold, the hole was exactly the right size for the oil tube from my gauge! I cleaned everything up real good and put a dab of JBWeld on there and it works perfectly!
This is awesome I was just wondering about this same topic today, thanks for the easy solution!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

3 months and a few hundred miles and not a drop of oil from that hack job - so I'm happy.

So much of the stuff I've had to do with stuff laying around my garage, junkyard etc.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Teching In

I use the stock one in back of the block for the computer. Then on the bottom rear of the block next to the oil filter there is a bypass. I built my own adapter, but you can drill and tap or buy one from S&P for whatever gauges you want.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it will work. The 98's were wired directly to the gauges. Supposedly the aftermarket sending units are more accurate. You can also do a search and get an adapter kit for the sending units. I think it was Rockauto that sold a package of adapters for everything for about $10 or less delivered. They covered the oil, and water fittings with a number left over.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Actually, the 98-02 Fbody and 99-06 trucks used the single wire sender compatible with just about every stock gauge and most aftermarkets. The 3 wire units are actually pressure sensors meant to be ran to a controller to decode and output the value on a serial data stream

98 Fbody LS1s had the CTS with a built in coolant temp sender compatible with most analog gauges

Quick Reply: original oil pressure sensor