Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Deadener Makes Hot Rods Better

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Sound Deadener Makes Hot Rods Better

Since my LS swap, I had not enjoyed just plain cruising in my 65 as much as when it was stock. The original little 300 motor and exhaust was quiet. After the swap I could hear the LS sewing machine through the firewall and the 3" inch exhaust resonation from the back. At low cruise RPMs, I was pretty much always irritated.

So, I started reading about sound deadeners. My research said that it works and it is heavy. I was not thrilled about the heavy, but I sure needed a solution. After another month of irritation, I ordered some Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro from Second Skin. When the stuff arrived, I felt sorry for the UPS guy. Yeah, it is really heavy.

I was not in the mood to pull the seats and console yet, so I had a look at the firewall. After pulling what was left of the tattered factory jute, I cleaned the firewall and installed the Damplifier Pro as far up as I could reach. While I only came down to just above the carpet, the difference was instantly noticeable. The annoying LS sewing machine noise was reduced to hardly detectable. Huge victory!

Feeling new motivation I pulled the rear seats. I installed the Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro under the rear seat above the Muffler locations. It was a noticeable improvement, but still not good enough.

I had my suspicions that the majority of the resonation was happening inside the trunk and radiating into the passenger compartment through opening behind the rear seat. This is a symptom of the fact that tailpipes turn down and end just before the rear bumper. The car needs a piece of sheet metal to separate the trunk from the passenger compartment, but in lieu of that, I temporarily stretched a piece of Luxury Liner Pro over the opening behind the rear seat. Viola! Huge improvement. The resonation inside the car was reduced by 70%! Another big victory.

I went cruising around the town and my enjoyment level was soaring. The car is sounds and feels like I hoped it would when I planned my build. Next time I get some spare time, I will pull the seats and the carpet and finish the job.

I have strategies to reduce the amount of sound deadening product I am using to minimize the weight penalty. I estimate that I will add 75 to 80 lbs to the car. Do I want the extra weight? Nope. Is it worth every pound? Oh hell yes!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree & used Eastwood sound deadener & QuietRide Solutions for the firewall. I think you're right about the trunk divider & may put Eastwood on that, as well.
It was money well spent.

Last edited by gMAG; 08-30-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I plan on adding some to my 85 SS when I install new carpet later this fall. I'm glad to know it works good. Like you, I had wondered if the weight penalty would be worth the result.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you want to control sound and heat issues with a very lightweight product, take a look at Lizard Skin. Street rodders/hot rodders have been using it for years. You can shop around and find it reasonably priced, especially compared to products like Dynamat and Hush Mat type insulations.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The best priced stuff out there is Fatmat, I use to own Performance Mat Sound deadening.

Dynamat is the most Expensive for good reason, it works the best.

Best Dollar for Dollar is Edead80 from Elemental Designs.

Dynamats Extreme Liner is amazing over the mufflers and headers, or really anywhere. Is about a 1/2" thick with a small 15mil acoustic Lead plate in it.

I have sound deadened everything in my car and it does make it amazing.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the thread speed trigger! I have been enjoying my ride with bare metal floors but it is loud as hell. Seems like if I install the sound deadener I can sell the daily driver and buy a blower or turbos to offset the weight of the insulation.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 74novacustom
Dynamat is the most Expensive for good reason, it works the best.
If dynomat is more expensive than the Second Skin I feel for you. The stuff I bought was stupid expensive.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cheapest & best solution is roofing tar covered by thick aluminum foil. Yes, it works & is heat resistant. Lightweight solution is thick felt layered several times. Not as good, but, cheap & good enough for those looking to save weight.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Cheapest & best solution is roofing tar covered by thick aluminum foil. Yes, it works & is heat resistant. Lightweight solution is thick felt layered several times. Not as good, but, cheap & good enough for those looking to save weight.
People say that stuff stinks up the inside of the car like asphalt when it is hot.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by speedtigger
People say that stuff stinks up the inside of the car like asphalt when it is hot.
IT does stink, and even worse when it gets hot, and btw its flammable. Thats why sound deadening companies use Butyl Rubber instead.

Dynamat is 8.64sq ft Retail.

Edead is $1.00 to $2.00 Sq Ft. Retail

Fatmat is right around $1.00sq ft on Ebay

Depending on thickness the price varies a little.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried a lot of the others... but I LOVE my second skin stuff! Damplifier and luxury liner!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger

Do the "people" put aluminum foil over it? I've used it for years; no smell, no fires (knock on wood). It's like anything else, one can try things for oneself or use hearsay to determine what's best. My experience is different from what "people" say & it's likely due to having covered it w/ aluminum foil. It works great.

In my other car; where weight is critical, the layered felt has been beneficial. "People" say that felt under the carpet, causes the carpet to complain about its' back being itchy, but, mine has never complained...just sayin'.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I just took 10llbs of sounddeadenin out of my car, honestly I could'nt tell.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 74novacustom
IT does stink, and even worse when it gets hot, and btw its flammable. Thats why sound deadening companies use Butyl Rubber instead.

Dynamat is 8.64sq ft Retail.

Edead is $1.00 to $2.00 Sq Ft. Retail

Fatmat is right around $1.00sq ft on Ebay

Depending on thickness the price varies a little.
The Damplifier Pro (aluminum backed butyl) from Second Skin is about $5 to $7 per Sq. Ft. depending on quantity.

The Luxury Liner Pro (vinyl backed foam) is $3.50 to $5 per Sq. Ft. depending on quantity.

As effective as it is, I definitely bought too much, so I guess I will ebay the extra.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I pulled all the sound deadening from under my carpet and scraped up all the tar paper crap even.

Kid you not the stuff weighed in the high 30#s. I noticed no difference in sound, but on really long trips the floor gets hot below my heels because the headers are REALLY close to the floor.

Might put a small piece back there.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In the early 70's Datsun used tar on the floors of the 240's. It got brittle as it aged and trapped water under the cracks rusting out the floor. It took me half a day with dry ice to bust all that stuff out so I could patch the floor.

Not only does the petroleum based stuff smell, it doesn't age very well. Felt may deaden sound, but something that actually adheres to the metal will dampen vibrations. This keeps the floor pans and even door skins from turning into speakers that amplify things like gear and fuel pump noise.

I'm all for saving money but this is one area where I think buying a quality product is money well spent. Sort of like cheap paint. Yeah, it gets the job done but in the long run only a rich man can afford cheap paint.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

I'm a big fan of sound deadener - i used it extensively in my old rabbit that was basically a metal box of noise.

i tried edead because it's so low cost. it was terrible, peeled up in oregon heat (which isn't much) I love the dynamat, it's expensive but sticks amazingly well and can be found on ebay for not too much more than the other products. I wont spend money on anything else after trying the others over the years.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tongboy
I'm a big fan of sound deadener - i used it extensively in my old rabbit that was basically a metal box of noise.

i tried edead because it's so low cost. it was terrible, peeled up in oregon heat (which isn't much) I love the dynamat, it's expensive but sticks amazingly well and can be found on ebay for not too much more than the other products. I wont spend money on anything else after trying the others over the years.
sounds like you used the old edead 45. the New Edead 80 works amazing, its been 115 here and its still holding strong, for the Edead 45 i used headliner adheasive to make it stay.

But the Best stuff out there is and always be Dynamat. Thats why is costs so much. the aluminum plate is the thickest on dynamat.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I've used most of the eDead products and it's really in the prep. I'm in Houston and have had no issues on multiple vehicles including trunks and roofs, no peeling. If you are experiencing peeling, your problem is in the prep and/or application.

I would like the Damplifier products but it's hard to beat the eDead bang/buck factor. Use a combo of the 80 and teklite and you can't go wrong.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you ever get the car weighed again can you let us know how much extra weight was added? In the latest Super Chevy article they put Boom Mat into their 70' Camaro, with a layer of the rubbed backed jute padding under the carpet. They measured the difference was 8lbs with the new stuff, which I call .

My floors get hot as well, it's to the point where my shifter will even get warm if I drive for some time.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadener Makes Hot Rods Better