Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to site looking for help with a LS drop into a 71 C10

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to site looking for help with a LS drop into a 71 C10

Hey guys I am currently building a 1971 shortbed C10 2wd Chevy. I have completed my chassis and I am considering putting a LS motor from a 05-06 Tahoe into the truck. I have never done this before and have found a 5.3 motor complete with harness,CPU and transmission what are some things to look for that will be needed to complete this conversion. Thanks for any help you can give!!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

If you get a DBW engine you'll need the TAC module and pedal. If you're new to this, then it's always easier to get a complete pull out with everything out of the same truck to avoid problems with parts being incompatible with others, DBW can be hard to mix match and have work right.

I'm also building a '71 shortbed at the moment, but last year built a '72. You can see my build in my sig.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Thanks here is a little background on it my buddy owns a shop. This is a Vortec motor out of a 05/06 Tahoe. It is a complete pull motor and tranny are still mated harness, CPU full pulley system and fan are still there as well fuel and tranny lines are still attached. What is a DBW and the TAC module and Pedal. I have never messed with a swap of this size and want to make sure I know what to look for. Also motor has approximately 40,000 miles on it and he wants 2,500 for whole setup. Good deal or not. I appreciate any help thank you
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

TAC (Throttle Acutator Control) Module is a little black box that interfaces, the PCM with the Pedal and provides all throttle functions. The pedal harness attaches to the tac module. As stated above by LS1, the cost the swap can go up significantly if you dont get these parts. We have pedals in stock, but no tac modules. If you dont have these parts, you may want to condsider changing to a drive by cable throttle body.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A new Gas pedal from the stealership is around 120.00 and the TAC is 200.00, I just bought a replacement TAC from a place in Cali called Subway truck parts, and the TAC was 75 shipped, not bad and it works great.

The 5.3 Swap into a truck is a great one that has many benifits over swaping that engine in a car, In the truck you can keep the factory Oil Pan, Water Pump and intake manifold without any mods, which those can cost you. You can even use the factory upper radiator hose off of the Tahoe.

Not to mention you can even keep the factory Tahoe air filter box and tube, making it look nice and custom.

Also with a harness From PSI Conversion its a sinch. You only have to really mod your Fuel system.

Thats depending on what transmission you choose.

Your gonna need some Engine mount adapters and headers or Use the Tahoe manifolds and have them hooked up to your old exhaust.

There will be some mods to your gauge senders.

But there are soo many tricks that we swappers have used to make this easy and painless for you.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

2500 seems like a lot for a 5.3. Surely you could get then to knock a few hundred off.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chuckd71
2500 seems like a lot for a 5.3. Surely you could get then to knock a few hundred off.
You know i didnt even read that part, Yes that is too much, i got the same setup low miles from a 05 truck for 700.00 complete minus the TAC and Pedal Assy.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Great info guys I really like all the info. Good thing I asked I was thinking that was a fair deal. But I need to do some checking. I am in central California Modesto to be exact anyone no of anybody in the area who is good to get these motors from. And if not any good websites where I can maybe order some things from?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nutcasecopper
Great info guys I really like all the info. Good thing I asked I was thinking that was a fair deal. But I need to do some checking. I am in central California Modesto to be exact anyone no of anybody in the area who is good to get these motors from. And if not any good websites where I can maybe order some things from?
http://www.subwaytruckparts.com/

these guys are in Sacramento.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Hey,

I'm running a 427 LSX in my '71 GMC. It was amazingly simple to do. As the guys have mentioned above there are a few things to watch out for when using factory stuff, but for the most part - you'll find it very straight forward. i.e. I was even able to use my stock 307 upper and lower rad hoses - I was completely surprised.

Depending on the transmission and cab you have, you may need to change your hump over to a high hump (4x4 or BBC), but that is easy other that it takes some time to do it nicely.

speaking of transmissions, if you go for the t-56 make sure the shifter location is okay with your seats. Lots of companies makes shifter hands to get around things. Personally, I found the factory stick out of a '68 Dodge Dart and it works great.

Good luck. Have fun. While your looking for cheaper 5.3s, I'd look for a 6L engine - you'll love it.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info if looking for the 6 liter motor what is the most common vehicle it came in
Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any 3/4 ton trk/van....or SS trks....

Quick Reply: New to site looking for help with a LS drop into a 71 C10