Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for another build...2001 Miata L33 w/t56 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by salemetro
This.... from a guy that pays to have his engines built for him.

I get it....you're perfect....and LS1Tech is a way for you to stroke your own ego. Now go away and **** on some other thread to make up for your own insecurities. The rest of us will keep learning through doing...mistakes and all.

By the way....it's EXALTED in proper tense usage. But you knew that, I'm sure.
I just must stay subscribed to witness more geniusness...

Andrew
Old 12-07-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO

Andrew
Whatever makes you feel like a man....
Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That went south in a hurry... looking forward to the progress! please keep us updated!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude....That is not loctite on the head bolts, that is thread sealer. On a LSx engine the head bolts go into the water passages. The holes are not blind so you need to seal the threads.

It is so nice to see people second guessing hundreds of hours of engineering.

Andrew

Andrew

Didn't matter whether it had been loctite or sealer. His question was related to why anything @ all was there; for that matter? Nothing wrong with asking. That's what this site it for.

Please don't spoil a good build thread.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks LS1-450. Too bad that it seems that there's one in every crowd. At least I learned something new.

Anyway....back to the build....

Went out to the shop early today before work, and was able to clearance the oil pan and make some progress. I was able to get the k-member mounted, and get the engine off of the stand. Assembly will be almost completely finished while on the trailer, and then I'll start on the wiring.

[IMG][/IMG]

Installed the new clutch and new SFI flywheel. It's finally starting to look complete! Installed the stainless lines onto the clutch slave, and just have to check clutch slave clearance before we bolt it to the back of the engine.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Trans tunnel mods should be completed today or tomorrow if all goes well. We're on a tight schedule for the exhaust to be fabbed and completed this weekend...not sure if we're going to make it! Looks like I'll be taking tomorrow off from work to try to help hammer this thing out.

More to come.....
Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Dude....That is not loctite on the head bolts, that is thread sealer. On a LSx engine the head bolts go into the water passages. The holes are not blind so you need to seal the threads.

It is so nice to see people second guessing hundreds of hours of engineering.

Andrew
its a good thing you are wrong....the ls1 head bolt holes are blind tapped and do not enter the water passage anywhere, hence the reason for having to thoroughly clean out and dry out all holes before installing the bolts.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ead-bolts.html
Old 12-08-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1fst98
its a good thing you are wrong....the ls1 head bolt holes are blind tapped and do not enter the water passage anywhere, hence the reason for having to thoroughly clean out and dry out all holes before installing the bolts.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ead-bolts.html
Thanks for the laugh ls1fts98, I needed it!

It's been one of those days. Funny thing is, I remembered hearing "stories" of people breaking these blocks from being careless with the thread bosses...but I never looked it up to be sure.

Thanks for putting this one to rest.

So....after a long day at the the day-job, I was only able to get the trans mated up to the engine temporarily for tomorrow. Still waiting for pressure plate bolts to get here tomorrow afternoon...so a little bit of a hold up.

[IMG][/IMG]

Meanwhile, my friend has made GREAT progress on the trans tunnel mods....and it looks like we're on schedule to test-fit the engine/trans in the car tomorrow!! This is going MUCH faster than I had anticipated......I just keep waiting for the "oh crap" moment to arrive. If all goes well, we'll be fabbing the exhaust tomorrow

More pics tomorrow....
Old 12-09-2011, 06:14 AM
11 Second Club

No problem man. Should be a fun little car. Look forward to seeing the progress of it. Looks great so far.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Great build!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice build man! good choice on the L33, you will save like 100lbs over the iron block, and taking weight off the front end allows for WHEELIES! That car should be a mini cruise missle when its done! Did you install that ls2 timing chain dampner or did the L33 have one on it already? I ask b/c i am building an L33/Super t10 81 camaro right now...
Old 12-10-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Nice build man! good choice on the L33, you will save like 100lbs over the iron block, and taking weight off the front end allows for WHEELIES! That car should be a mini cruise missle when its done! Did you install that ls2 timing chain dampner or did the L33 have one on it already? I ask b/c i am building an L33/Super t10 81 camaro right now...
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. This project started as just a way to make a daily driver a little more tolerable to drive....and has turned in to something that I'm really becoming quite excited about. Funny thing is, I'm more excited about THIS car than I was about my turbo'd fbody. Go figure.

Wildcamaro.....the LS2 chain damper was sourced through Proform, IIRC. It was pretty cheap as I remember.... and by all accounts that I read, a worth-while upgrade.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

So...some more updates from today. First-off; THE ENGINE IS IN!!! Albeit just temporarily.

I walked into the shop, and got to see first-hand how much trimming was required. It was a pretty substantial modification. It will all be finish welded, seam-sealed, and painted in the next couple of days....after the reinforcement brackets are welded in and everything is cleaned up.
[IMG][/IMG]

Before:
[IMG][/IMG]

Next order of business was test-fitting the engine/trans for tunnel clearance.
[IMG][/IMG]

After one test-fit and some minor "massaging" of the firewall;

[IMG][/IMG]

Funniest thing about this swap so far, is how much room there is in the engine bay. Changing spark plugs, and regular maintenance will be a breeze compared to my Fbody! I'm liking this car more-and-more already!

Next thing on the list was to get the subframe connectors and transmission cross member correctly installed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next came the rear subframe/suspension and differential.
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm REALLY happy with how this turned out. The dual exhaust will clear easily, and the differential is tucked up nice and high in the subframe.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next, we started strategizing over the fitment of the rear mufflers and settled on this....
[IMG][/IMG]

From the rear, it does not look too bad. I have not decided yet which tips will go on the end, but I'm sure it will be something fairly plain and simple. This is how it sits right now;

[IMG][/IMG]

The exhaust will be completed tomorrow, with pictures of the rest of it to follow.

Until then.....

Last edited by salemetro; 12-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You guys are doing a real nice job with the install. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-10-2011, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you guys are working quick too.

This thing should be tons of fun.

Is it going to be loud or more of a sleeper?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
Wow, you guys are working quick too.

This thing should be tons of fun.

Is it going to be loud or more of a sleeper?
Thanks guys. The initial goal was to have the car completed in 2 months. I'm now thinking that it will be closer to 2-3 weeks. It's my "commuter" car, so we're trying to hammer it out quick.

It's going to be as quiet as we can make it. I used the largest mufflers that I could fit in the rear, as well as some of the longest resonators I could find. Currently, we're using 2 resonators....with the option to go with 4 if needed to reach sound level goals.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Pretty Gnarly build , I love those body style miatas expecially the back end of them
Old 12-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

This is SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of things going on...not much for new pictures. Tunnel mods will be completed today, with reinforcement brackets from FM being welded in....

[IMG][/IMG]

Inside seams are being welded as well, with corner brackets being welded back in as nicely as possible. Seam sealer and paint should not be far behind.

Other than that, finally got the clutch bolted in. Also picked up my new driveline....only cost $155 with HD Spicer U-joints...SCORE!! Beats the hell out of paying $500 elsewhere, so I'm happy.

Exhaust will be back Thursday or so from being purge-tigged, so I'm anxious to see the final result. The guy doing it has done work for me in the past, and is a friggin' artist with a tig torch, so I'm sure it'll be just what I'm after.

I'm hoping to get started with wiring this week, but we still have to run fuel lines and clean up misc. areas. I'll post more pics as soon as I can.

Until then....
Old 12-13-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice. Thanks for the update.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Exhaust update...

A little update today....should have this back tonight from a crossover being added, and complete assembly being purge-tigged. It's all 2.5" 304 stainless with mandrel bent elbows used at all needed points. Looking forward to posting more progress.

[IMG][/IMG]

Also got the new 4340 axles back today. They weren't cheap (no Chineseium), but should last a while.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by salemetro; 12-15-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Time for another build...2001 Miata L33 w/t56 conversion