Sponsored by:

5.3L please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
cgo
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L please help!

Hey guys, so I've spent hours searching the forum for DOD delete and found a ton of conflicting information.

I pulled the plug on a 2008 all aluminum 5.3L removed from a 2008 H3 Hummer. I believe it has DOD and AFM.

I've got an LS2 intake, valley pan, injectors, and fuel rail. I believe I need to change out the lifters.

I'm planning on installing a TR220/220 .551 lift 112 LSA cam in it, but this DOD thing has me all screwed up.

Not sure if that cam will even work. I also plan on going with a custom harness, ECU tune, and etc. But again, not sure how this all plays into the DOD delete issue.

Could somebody please summarize what is needed to delete the DOD and AFM?

Cam phasers?
Will the Mast Motorsports pan work with this engine if the DOD is deleted?
Do I need to plug the AFM oil sprayer? Is there one?
Will I need to replace the oil pump which is high capacity I believe?
Does something need to happen with the reluctor wheel?
Timing sprockets need to be changed? The cam comes in single bolt and 3 bolt applications.
I'm not even sure whether or not this engine has VVT in additon to the DOD/AFM.
Crank sensor changes needed?

I plan to mate this to a manual transmission or 4L70E.

What a PITA! I should have researched first, but it was a good deal. This is why I was staying away from LS engines. So many variables.

I'm sure somebody knows something about this engine and I'm also sure somebody out there has done this delete.

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IIR the LH8 is not a AFM motor. You can look under the intake for the plug for the AFM. AFM and DOD are the same thing. Offically GM calls it AFM Active fuel Managment. DOD is a slang termed used on line for AFM.

This motor does not have VVT. So there is not cam phaser.

Basically remove heads and change the AFM lifters. I would just change all the lifters to the LS3/LS7 units while you have the heads off.

The remove the intake and install the LS2 cover that has the orings to block the AFM ports in the block. The AFM valley cover will have the AFM stuff attached to it. You can reuse the oil pump shoudl be fine and the pan will bolt right up to the block.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 PM
cgo
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bo185
IIR the LH8 is not a AFM motor. You can look under the intake for the plug for the AFM. AFM and DOD are the same thing. Offically GM calls it AFM Active fuel Managment. DOD is a slang termed used on line for AFM.

This motor does not have VVT. So there is not cam phaser.

Basically remove heads and change the AFM lifters. I would just change all the lifters to the LS3/LS7 units while you have the heads off.

The remove the intake and install the LS2 cover that has the orings to block the AFM ports in the block. The AFM valley cover will have the AFM stuff attached to it. You can reuse the oil pump shoudl be fine and the pan will bolt right up to the block.
Thanks for the response. I'll be installing LS7 lifters and the engine already has an LS2 valley pan and intake on it. Is the cover you refer to the same thing as the valley pan? So, I should be good once I get the new cam and lifters in (along with chromoly pushrods, springs, etc, etc.)? Of course I'll need to get the ECU retuned for the new intake and cam, but also to disable the AFM electronically correct?

Yeah, I'm still new to these newer engines .
Old 02-03-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes its the valley pan. Since you say it has the LS2 cover then I would just remove it and inspect to make sure it has the orings for the AFM ports just to be save. All the block should have the ports drilled for the AFM as the truck blocks come this way.

The tuner should remove the AFM From the tune if it had it but like I said 95% sure the LH8 doesn't even have AFM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM
cgo
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bo185
Yes its the valley pan. Since you say it has the LS2 cover then I would just remove it and inspect to make sure it has the orings for the AFM ports just to be save. All the block should have the ports drilled for the AFM as the truck blocks come this way.

The tuner should remove the AFM From the tune if it had it but like I said 95% sure the LH8 doesn't even have AFM.
The cover had the ribs which supposedly indicate the use of AFM.

Quick Reply: 5.3L please help!