Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3/th350 in 86 monte - basic advice to drop in motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 5.3/th350 in 86 monte - basic advice to drop in motor

This will be my first engine swap, so bear with me if the questions seem really basic. With this thread I'm only concerned with physically mounting a 5.3 to a th350 that is already in the car. I'll deal with the fuel system, electrical, exhaust, etc later on.

I bought an engine hoist recently - should I buy a load leveler, ls1 lift plate, or just use a short length of chain?

Will it be adequate to remove the hood only, or is it worth the effort to remove the entire front clip?

Should I bolt the motor mounts to the frame mounts first, then bolt the th350 to the 5.3, and finally the TC to the flex plate?.....or is it better to attach the transmission first, then mount the engine to the frame? What is the best way to support the trans?

I plan on using factory f-body exh manifolds, I assume I should bolt these up after the engine is in the car? Or should I drop them in with the engine?

The 5.3 I will be using is complete with all accessories, intake, etc. Should I remove accessories, intake, etc. prior to dropping the engine in? Or does it make since to leave everything alone?

And finally, Is it possible to do this by myself or should I plan on arranging someone to help?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, couple things, from experience. What oil pan are you using, truck pan out of the question. Fbody from what I hear will work but very tight. I used CTS pan, works great.

to bolt to the th350 you should use flexplate 12621399(have to elongate torque converter holes some) spacer 12563532 and 6 bolts 12563533, all available at local gm dealer.

On my Chevelle(very similar to monte ss) I unbolted the frame stands and bolted them loosly to the engine mounts then set it in, I left the trans in its origional location, then once I had a bolt in each side of the bell housing I raised the engine some for power steering pump pulley and oil pan clearance. Measured the hight of the stands from the frame and made spacers, drilled holes and bolted in.

I have done an engine in Monte SS before and its kind of hard with the front clip on the car because of the lenth of the nose on the car. Can be done though. Good luck and check out my build. Link in my sig.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
Ok, couple things, from experience. What oil pan are you using, truck pan out of the question. Fbody from what I hear will work but very tight. I used CTS pan, works great.

to bolt to the th350 you should use flexplate 12621399(have to elongate torque converter holes some) spacer 12563532 and 6 bolts 12563533, all available at local gm dealer.

On my Chevelle(very similar to monte ss) I unbolted the frame stands and bolted them loosly to the engine mounts then set it in, I left the trans in its origional location, then once I had a bolt in each side of the bell housing I raised the engine some for power steering pump pulley and oil pan clearance. Measured the hight of the stands from the frame and made spacers, drilled holes and bolted in.

I have done an engine in Monte SS before and its kind of hard with the front clip on the car because of the lenth of the nose on the car. Can be done though. Good luck and check out my build. Link in my sig.
I will use the LH8 oil pan.

So the spacers were placed between the frame mounts and frame? How thick were they? Good thing to keep in mind, although it seems most g-body guys aren't having issues with the truck accessories.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they sell the motor mount adapter plates. around $60-120 depending on the brand
Old 03-04-2012, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

^^I got mine for $35, used the stock Clam Shells.

I used the GM Muscle Car Pan Kit, SBC-LS Conversion Plates, dropped it right on the Cradle in the stock location. Pan hangs below the Crossmember about 1.5" at the most. F-body Pan wouldnt fit.

I have a LQ4 Block, I use the 6.0l 4L80E Flexplate, Spacer & Bolts for my TH350 setup.

Quick Reply: 5.3/th350 in 86 monte - basic advice to drop in motor