Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get fans to work right. One runs nonstop and the other won't come on.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't get fans to work right. One runs nonstop and the other won't come on.

I've got my fans wired up like the diagram in the link. One fan (relay #2) comes on the second the motor is running. The other fan never comes on. I've traced the wires 15 times and they are all going to the right spots. I've tried 4 different relays. I have no idea what to try next. What is weird is that on relay #1, I'm getting 12v on pin 85 even with no wire connected to it. I've tried multiple relays there and same result every time.

Could it be something in the tune?

This is the fan diagram I used.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why don't you use the three relay setup and a factory fan schematic? That diagram is so small that I can't even read it.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Um.....click on the pic for an enlarged pic?

Bc that's the schematic that my swap harness uses. From what I was told at least. I have a PSI harness.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

If you have 12v to terminal 85, and terminal 86 is connected, that is good. The PCM grounds the ciruit at 85 to energize the relay. Try grounding each terminal 85 with a test light, and the fan that corresponds should go on. You don't even have to unplug the terminals or the connector. If it works there, do the same thing at the PCM connector, terminal 42, to check the wire between the PCM and relay. If you can get the fans to run manually this way, then the problem is in the PCM or tune, and I have not learned enough about tuning yet to tell you anything right.

As for the one that runs non-stop, #2 I take it, did you run the wire to the middle terminal 87a? You need it to be at 87. The schematic is drawn with the relay not energized, and 87 is the "powered up" terminal.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I ran to 87 on both relays. Not 87a.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

OK, circuit 459 is the PCM compressor enable circuit that goes to the ground side of the clutch relay coil. The schematic you have states to splice into the clutch circuit, when it should be the A/C clutch relay control circuit to the PCM. If you did do that correctly, and it sounds like you did because the fan goes on after the engine starts, not when the key is on, then the PCM is turning on the A/C compressor (is the A/C switch on?) or the tune is requesting the compressor on for some reason.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

PCM file settings. Can you command then on using hpt scanner?

Quick Reply: Can't get fans to work right. One runs nonstop and the other won't come on.