Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 to V8 Conversion Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 to V8 Conversion Project Thread

So I am converting my 1999 Firebird to a LS1. The original motor is obviously the 3800. The LS1 came out of a 1999 Trans Am with 78K on it. It also does come with the wiring harness and the ECM which is a big plus.
Now is it possible to rebuild my v6 transmission to work behind the v8 or should i just get a different transmission and what would you recommend doing? My budget for a tranny would be 700 or so. I also am aware that the alternator, ac compressor, and power steering pump will work just need different hoses/brackets..
I also know that the engine mounts are different and of course put a nice v8 exhaust system on it.
But I know there is more that I have to change as well so what else is there to do? Any tips and/or suggestions on swap over? Would love to hear from somebody that has done this themselves or has helped someone do it etc.
Thanks in advance and pictures will be up soon as for updates.

Last edited by WingsFan79; 03-18-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Anybody with some help?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:24 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,392 Likes on 2,097 Posts

It looks like you are well on your way. This swap should be very straightforward, due to you being able to buy factory parts, vs. aftermarket swap parts. I can't offer any info concerning the tranny issue, but I'm wondering about your fuel pump/system. Might want to check part numbers on the individual pumps, v6 vs. v8. One thing I do know. You will be glad you made the swap!
Old 03-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 195 Likes on 164 Posts

The tranny won't work. They use different input shafts and some of the internals are different as well. You'd be better off finding an LS tranny than working with yours.

There's a great thread on this forum about the conversion. Study up on it and it'll tell you almost everything you need to know.

Here it is: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ap-w-pics.html Great thread.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The tranny won't work. They use different input shafts and some of the internals are different as well. You'd be better off finding an LS tranny than working with yours.

There's a great thread on this forum about the conversion. Study up on it and it'll tell you almost everything you need to know.

Here it is: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ap-w-pics.html Great thread.
Alright thanks for the thread info man and yeah im gonna start looking for a different tranny.

Quick Reply: V6 to V8 Conversion Project Thread