Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric fan help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default electric fan help

hello i got a question what would anybody recommend for electric fans for my 1988 c1500 5.3 swap. I got the motor in and everything bundles up but when i added my s10 ac bracket i realized that i had no room for my air intake to come out. The clutch fan and stock shroud i have so i have to go to electric fans to make up some room. I was thinking about the ford Taurus fans but keep hearing about how much amp it draws what does everybody think. I would just like to go to the local pull a part and pull a set of fans off a car. i also acquired an Emp fan and radiator set. I was hooping that i could uses the fans off of the radiator but after reading the specifaction it has a 3 phase 12v wiring so i have no idea on how that works .
Old 03-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using the Taurus fan on my new buggy and am AMAZED at how much air it flows through the rad. It is like a hurricane. I've got both speeds wired up with my ECM controlling them and stood on my throttle at 5000 rpm for about 5 minutes the other day just to see if I could get it hot enough to trigger high speed and I didn't. It never got above 214*. The rad was about 1/2 gal low on fluid, too!

I feel as though the stock 5.3 alternator has more than enough juice and if it didn't you could upgrade to the dr44g which is 155 amps vs your 100. (dr44g is a direct bolt-in and uses the same plug.)

I do have a 19x31 dual pass radiator with a custom-fabbed shroud that lets little to no air escape out the sides.

J. J.

Last edited by patooyee; 03-18-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2 speed Taurus fan with only the low speed setting hooked up through a 25 amp fuse and have no issues. Very few guys use the high speed. chances are you won't either. I would highly recommend using the fan.

Here is a most excellent link on Taurus fans and amp draws. First hit on Google.

http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.c...VIIIrelay.html

Quick Reply: electric fan help