Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 brakes on A-body

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C5 brakes on A-body

Guys what would it take to run C5 or even f-body disc brakes, front and rear on a 68-72 A-body with 4 wheel drums? I know I can run the F-body rear brakes without too much of hassle but just weighing cost effective options.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check out Kore3, the have and do a lot of Vette Brakes coversion as well as the 4th Gen F-Body brakes.

BC
Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, you can do it, but plan on getting new wheels. Kore3 sells all the brackets needed to do the job. They also sell a turn-key kit with everything you need, but I prefer to find and rebuild my own calipers to save money. I ended up having to use 18" Foose Nitro wheels to get the necessary clearance on my A body. I used C5 corvette, front and rear.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-30-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You might be able to reuse your brake lines, but I could not since I had disc/ drum and the dist box was on my frame hitting my headers. Just finished (almost) running my new lines today. For the back you need F body backing plates, brackets and rotors and pads and then the c5 caliper. For the front you can turn down your hub and buy brackets, or at least that's how it seems, I'm using ATS spindles so I'm taking the easy way out.
I got the 5 brake line kit from Kore3, the rotors from brakemotive, ebrake stuff and backing plates from a forum or something (the backing plates can be tough to source sometimes), calipers and brackets from ebay (under $200 for new take offs with pads and brackets) and the new lines made to hook up to Kore3 stuff from Inline Tube. New master from CPP (though there are countless OEM choices, in the interest of time I just went with CPP) rounds things out. My setup isn't finished yet, but I've been working on it the last few days. Easier than I thought it would be, but of course there are the usual hiccups here and there.
Edit- I have some C5 calipers I'd sell pretty cheap, need new seals and repainted/ powdered but they are cheap.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

I referred to this site a lot when doing mine. http://www.sloppymechanics.com/archi...entry_867.html
Old 03-30-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the aid friends. I will simply separate my shopping list and do C5 front brakes and F body rear brakes. I do not plan to use my original spindles, but instead one of the 2" drop spindles on Ebay. Kore 2 will probably get my money for the brake lines and a friend is donating his C5 brake booster and master cylinder to the cause. I might get lucky and find a Camaro/Firebird console with the e brake and lines as well.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

You can still use the C5 rear calipers.

Quick Reply: C5 brakes on A-body