Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse Block Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Fuse Block Wiring

I'm about to solder my fuse block wires to my engine harness wires and I need some help. What is the best way to deal with the coil and injectors Pink wire to the 1 pink wire at the individual banks at the fuse block? Is it easier to step them down and have one wire the full length and the others tie into it every few inches until you only have one wire? Not real sure what to do. What have you guys done. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Split the driverisde and passenger side into separate circuits each having a single wire run from the fuseblock. Near the rear of intake manifold split the single wire into a separate wire for each circuit. The split should be done so the wires are run in parallel and not in series.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CutLS
I'm about to solder my fuse block wires to my engine harness wires and I need some help. What is the best way to deal with the coil and injectors Pink wire to the 1 pink wire at the individual banks at the fuse block? Is it easier to step them down and have one wire the full length and the others tie into it every few inches until you only have one wire? Not real sure what to do. What have you guys done. Thanks in advance.
Your thinking will work fine. You'll need one 15 amp fuse for even numbered coils and injectors and one for odd.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
Split the driverisde and passenger side into separate circuits each having a single wire run from the fuseblock. Near the rear of intake manifold split the single wire into a separate wire for each circuit. The split should be done so the wires are run in parallel and not in series.
So should I use the front injector wire and run it back and for the other injector wires and the coil wire, splice into that one wire so they are parallel?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That would work fine as long as you only use the one wire to supply power to them. That's all you need.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
That would work fine as long as you only use the one wire to supply power to them. That's all you need.
What gage wire would you recommend?

Kevin C
Old 06-17-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kevinc
What gage wire would you recommend?

Kevin C
18 gauge for the coilpacks and injectors harness
Old 06-17-2012, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it exactly as your thinking, I used the longest wire and never broke it, I stripped it, wrapped the next wire around it and soldered it. That way if i ever have an issue it will only be a single issue and not a solder connection causing an issue with an entire bank. kinda using the idea of "your only as strong as your weakest link"

Mark
Old 06-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on this note i have a question in this same setup.

not to rob your post but figure good info start lets keep it going.

i did the coil pack and injectors for odd and even on there own fuse. so there is a odd fuse and even fuse with coil power and injector power on same fuse .

my question is 2 part.

is this o.k. ?

and if so what size fuse should i run in the 2 fuse spots. ?

thanks as always
Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Launching!

sweetk30-
Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Your thinking will work fine. You'll need one 15 amp fuse for even numbered coils and injectors and one for odd.
That should be fine. Most/some people run left and right bank fuses instead of odd and even but it should work. It's mainly there to prevent major damage in the injectors or wiring.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CutLS
sweetk30-

That should be fine. Most/some people run left and right bank fuses instead of odd and even but it should work. It's mainly there to prevent major damage in the injectors or wiring.
Unless I am missing something you are both saying the same thing......the drivers side bank is odd (1-3-5-7) and passenger side bank is even (2-4-6-8).
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Yeah your right. I got confused for a second.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I necked mine down like this: 5 wires on the driver's side down to two wires down to one wire into the fuse box. I used solder and adhesive-lined head shrink tubing. Repeat for passenger side.

If I had to do it again, I would get a butt-connector and run all 5 wires into a a single wire that goes to the fuse box, for each side. After crimping, I would add a little solder into the butt-connector and cover with stiff-walled adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing.

Although I usually prefer solder+heat shrink tubing connections, I think this is one place that a butt-connector really makes sense.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Launching!

o.k. good info here but as i asked before whats the general idea for fuse size on a setup like this with coil pack and injectors per side . ? i see 1 guy has said 15 amp .

all driver / odd side on 1 line / fuse and then pass / even side on seperate line / fuse.

15 amp ? 20 amp ? 25 amp ?

just wana get this right so i dont go on a test drive out in the country or heart of the city and have the thing pop a fuse and die on me.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I followed GM's lead and used a 15 amp fuse for each side. Other guys do it differently, and run more wires on a larger fuse.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think a larger fuse would be required if you ran both banks to one fuse... the fuse is there to protect the wiring from over-current and melting, so upping the amperage is not a good idea.

Also since only one cylinder fires at once, I see no issue running both banks to a single fuse; the "duty cycle" will be greater but the max. drawn current should remain constant.

Quick Reply: Fuse Block Wiring