Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Camaro: Mean geen build. LS3/L92's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Camaro: Mean geen build. LS3/L92's?

Wondering you guys opinions on using the MSD controller, normally ment for carb applications. On an LS based install into a first gen camaro, maintaing factory efi.. but using the msd controller for ignition dutys.

Looing through scoggin dickey today I stumbled upon this:

http://sdparts.com/details/msd-ignition/msd8886

And figured if that will work reasonably well for awhile untill i get the funds/ abillity to sort a real harness/ GM ecu out. Then lets do it.
Im assuming the MSD controller is rather simple to install into an existing GM wiring harness. No? Any info... Pro's cons of doing this plz let me know. This camaro has been dying to get on the road. Currently undergoing last bits of the body work/ 350 4speed install.. But if this controller is a simple way to go LS based.. I think I will give it a try. Thanks for any feedback, BobD

Last edited by Quaman; 06-20-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the MSD box on my carb'd motor, absolutely trivial to set up and use, but not really sure why you want to use it with the existing EFI computer. If you already have the EFI computer, why not use that to control the ignition?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Teching In

I do not have an engine. Im finding pullots local. *5.3/6.0* In the 250-600 dollar range. No harnesses or computer.. Which when added drives the price up considerably. Theres a local craigs list add for the MSD box and harness for 175. Is why im inquiring.

No power steering, no AC, so im looking at this as a rather basic of the bascs type of install. Am I thinking wrong? Just trying to get my feet wet.. Before the chaos that is the LS bug.. Takes over.

Im a rather "Shade tree" type of mechanic.. Still being rather young at 25. Went to school for collision repair/ thats what I do for a living. So making things look all purdy is rather a simple task at times. The whole LS/ engine rebuids etc are a whole new world to me.. But im here to learn. So if the MSD box i as trivial as you say to setup... Then im right for thinking this should go rather easily with the appropriate oil pan.. and swap mounts? This may just become the official build thread...
Old 06-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Forgot to add car is an SS model. So it has the dual fuel lines, so am i right for thinking they can be used.. One as the return.. Into a corvette regulator and a walbro 255?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

You need the factory ECM to run the EFI either way. All the MSD box will do is add an extra part and wiring that you don't need.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to use EFI go with all the pull out stuff from the same vehicle. If you are going carbed then deffinatly the MSD. But before you go for the Craig's list add, make sure you get it real cheap and with the intake, you can get the MSD and intake as a kit from Jeg's or Summit for around $600.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
If you are going to use EFI go with all the pull out stuff from the same vehicle. If you are going carbed then deffinatly the MSD. But before you go for the Craig's list add, make sure you get it real cheap and with the intake, you can get the MSD and intake as a kit from Jeg's or Summit for around $600.
The problem with the Jegs or Summit kit is, it's the Edelbrock box. Not the MSD box.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy a new one or at least try to verify when the one on craigs list was built. Some of the older boxes have cranking issues.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have plenty of the MSD box in stock as well as most of the Edelbrock LS intakes
Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Can't you just get an aftermarket efi controller? FAST and holley sell efi contollers and say you need to find an ignition contoller.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Okay okay. Man I must of had a brain fart yesterday or something. Thinking the MSD could do my fuel management * Talk about a money saver if so..*

Anyways. Ive decided to just dive in. Made a trip and will be picking up a LQ4/4L80E combo out of an 06 2500. Tranny is reported to be "Bad." Snagged the whole lot for 895$ after some finnagling for an uncut/ butchered harness and computer. Motor seemed to turn over relatively nice compared to an old sbc that would of sat in the same elements. Will do leak down test once it arrives + partial dis-assembly.

With this price, ontop of the proposed cam and valvetrain mods I would be hoping for. Im looking to swap heads. Any suggestions what to look for? Or should *while I can* pony up for the LS3/L92 CNC ported heads from scoggin dickey?
I know this would add intake/fuel rail costs.. But its going to have to be changed either way.

Plans are to leave the car a 4 speed untill I get tired/ Shell the faceplated ST10 in it. From what ive read my Mcleod slipper clutch wil work, with the appropriate bellhousing and flywheel? Which flywheel? Have the bellhousing that Keisler sells, just a GM version.

Ultimate plans for the car is.. well just a stop light terror. Gas milage.. While sumwhat a concern.. Aslong as its over 18 at a consistant cruise im fine with that. Looking to go for a somewhat... Rowdy combination, on a budget of course. Definately A stock bottom end or deal. Limited track duty.. More of a whinding open country road and short 10-20 mile Highway jaunts.

Any help or info towards my build will be much appreciated. Im sure I will have to get you guys to babysit me through stripping the harness and the wiring. But I would much appreciate it! Sorry for the long drawn out post.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Launching!

I wouldn't go with the ls3 heads. You can find used heads that you could swap to gain compression. And it's not to hard to find ls1 intakes on the cheap. Remember if you change the intake from truck to car the accessory drive gets in the way and will have to be worked to make fit. And you'll have to buy an ls1 waterpump and spacers to put on it as well.

Depending on you $$ situation my advice is to put different heads to raise compression and a cam. Keep the ugly truck intake until you can afford a fast truck intake. If you keep the truck intake you can save some time and money with the accessories.

I can't remember all the head codes but I think there is a sticky on head swaps. Look there to find the heads you think would suit your needs. You may need to get a different oil pan as well.

My real advice is stick the motor in as is, get it running then do your bolt on upgrades once you get the bugs worked out.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Why no on the LS3/L92s? Budgets not astronomical, definately no magazine car money. But its there. I want to build this 6.0 right and swap it in place of the 350 by end of summer.

Im wanting to change heads either way, why not cnc ported LS3's? Could they not be milled to gain some compression in order to run a healthy enough cam to run a 3500# car 115-120 in a 1/4? Less exspensive options? LS3 intake/ rails oil pan and accompanying pieces have all been factored into "Thinking" about going L92/LS3s. "3Pedals "on this forum is a very big reason ive thought about this.

Car already has a 12bolt.. Non posi. 3.31 gears. So it will definately be getting an eaton posi unit, and possibly a gear change depending on what you guys say about a head change. Aswell as corresponding cam ideas.

Just looking to transform the car into a boulevard bruiser, so to speak. Theres a million featherweight S10s roaming around my area. Some rather quick, with just old junk SBC's. Looking to do some whooping up on them, aswell as actually enjoying the car. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Also forgot to mention. Not exactly worried about accessories on the front of the motor.. Yet. All I will be using is alternator and waterpump. No power steering, no AC.

Im not.. to up on the wiring and workings of the LSx family. Is all.. Rather quick learner and have bee wrenching for sometime. Just lookin for a bit of guidance here and there.

Free 1969 Furd Torino 351GT to whoever helps me hack the wiring harness up and wire this damn thang! haha

Last edited by Quaman; 06-20-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm no expert but if the car is just a weekend warrior and budget is even remotely a concern it seems paying $$$ more for ported/ polished heads or a fast intake is throwing money away. It's kind of like audio gear or building a computer, the first small amount of money gets you 90% of what you want but you spend huge amounts of money getting that last 10%. You have to decide if you actually need that last ten percent. At this point you might not, and there are plenty of other things to spend money on for now. What others have said about just getting it moving makes sense. L92 heads are pretty cheap in the classifieds here and over on performancetrucks.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Teching In

I guess my "junky" yard makes me appear to be "poor." I just live in a rural area. Like I said.. Not made of money. But ive done pretty good so far in keeping bills to a minimum and saving to build my car.. My way.

Just dropping in to give an update.

MegaSquirt 1 harness and an LM1 on order from DIYautotune.
Aeromotive fuel pump and corvette filter snagged locally
Awaiting word back to complete order for the Autokraft oilpan

Undecided:
Wether its a money "waster" is debatable. But I priced some CNC ported 241 heads out to the tune of 1500 new accompanying pac springs, retainers etc. Without the purchase of an LS6 intake, rails etc.
Ive not done much research yet on the pricing of LS3 intake, rails, tb etc. But I have a feeling it will be rather close comparison as to buying the 241 heads ported with appropriate intake etc.

So with that said. Help me make a cylinder head choice so I can make an order. Looking to build a street bruiser, not fixated on any HP figures. But there are some rather impressive vehicles in my neck of the woods. Would rather spend the money once and be.. happy/ish.
Like I said.. Not made of money, but Ive had this vision for this car in my mind ever since I joined this site years ago. Ive been nickle and diming my daily life to death for years for this... Help me make it worth the while.

Quick Reply: 69 Camaro: Mean geen build. LS3/L92's?