Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial ECM power up on LY6 shows P2138 DBW pedal code. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Initial ECM power up on LY6 shows P2138 DBW pedal code. Thoughts?

Well I put power thru to my 2010 L96 (LY6) engine w/E38 ECU yesterday and am working out a few gremlins on all the work I've done. But as far as the engine goes, I had a few codes set on Evap emission stuff, but I do have the P2138. I used a 2007 Monte Carlo pedal and I did have my throttle body ported. I went ahead and deleted the codes, but the 2138 came right back. The Monte pedal was brand new GM, but reading a few posts others really suggesting pedal needs to go w/engine; not sure what ECM the monte used and whether it is compatible--they connector goes right in and the monte pedal fits nicely.

What are the implications of this code? Is this something that can be tuned out? Can you run with like this way? If anyone has a good procedure for isolating this problem I'd love to hear it.

Thx!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to remember exactly how we sorted this issue out on a car I worked on about a year ago. I think we had a matching pedal, but if I recall we had an issue with the TAC module not matching.

It is not something you can tune out.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got the definite answer, the first pedal we had didn't match the computer. The pedal must match the computer.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so i dont have this problem then here is what i got .

03 5.3 from yukon and dbw ecu and pedel from truck same vintage. reason for diffrent pedel was yukon had that adjustable pedel motor crap.

do you think i will have this problem ?

and sorry for thread hijack but good threads lets keep it going
Old 07-15-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Angry

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
Just got the definite answer, the first pedal we had didn't match the computer. The pedal must match the computer.
So any pedal that goes w/any E38 ECU or does it have to be the silverado DBW pedal that yes I already sold
Old 07-15-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

It would make sense for it to match the PCM and not the specific model, but I can't answer for sure.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I can say for sure in the earlier gen, the pedals were specific for model as well as year. That was especially true with vans for whatever reason. Pretty good chance the pedal does not interchange. Good news is pedal with APP sensors are cheap.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
So any pedal that goes w/any E38 ECU or does it have to be the silverado DBW pedal that yes I already sold
Any Escalade, Yukon, or Pickup, 2007 thru 2011 should be the same APP. This is going by the p/n at Rockauto. You look up parts like this and then click the p/n and it shows you what all it fits.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Add'l searching showed Bsharpe had this same problem on his chevelle; says truck connector just needs two wires swapped to match the corvette connector wiring--he did this and code went away:
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...Chevelle/page2

So I figured it makes sense to try and swap the two pins first and see if this worked for me. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to get the pins out. They are a good bit smaller than ones I normally remove. I've tried putting a paper clip in the end per the pic and it doesn't seem to come loose, although I'm loathe to pull too hard if that's not the correct hole.

Obviously I'd really like to use the monte pedal if possible; its mounted and is a great fit.
Attached Thumbnails Initial ECM power up on LY6 shows P2138 DBW pedal code.  Thoughts?-dbw-connector.jpg   Initial ECM power up on LY6 shows P2138 DBW pedal code.  Thoughts?-dbw-connector-pin-release.jpg  

Last edited by Goldhawg; 07-16-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

My pedal connector pigtail came from a G6, the colors and sensor descriptions matched up to the truck colors. Didn't require a repin best I recall.

Metripack GT pin removal:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...atherpack.html
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I followed the pin removal procedure; pulled purple tab off (came off relatively easily), then lifted up the black tabs w/a pick that hold the pin in place and they pulled right out. Swapped them around, replaced purple tab and then the gray tab on back. powered up car and scan tool reads no codes!!

Woohoo bsharpe. So appears (unless it comes back) that monte pedals do work w/E38 ECU. I'm getting close to starting this baby...over a year since I first started.
Attached Thumbnails Initial ECM power up on LY6 shows P2138 DBW pedal code.  Thoughts?-pull-off-purple-cover-dbw-connector.jpg   Initial ECM power up on LY6 shows P2138 DBW pedal code.  Thoughts?-dbw-connector-showing-black-tabs.jpg   Initial ECM power up on LY6 shows P2138 DBW pedal code.  Thoughts?-dbw-connector-lift-black-tab.jpg   Initial ECM power up on LY6 shows P2138 DBW pedal code.  Thoughts?-dbw-2-pins-removed.jpg   Initial ECM power up on LY6 shows P2138 DBW pedal code.  Thoughts?-final-dbw-connector.jpg  

Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

woohoo is right...your first drive will be great
Old 06-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
I followed the pin removal procedure; pulled purple tab off (came off relatively easily), then lifted up the black tabs w/a pick that hold the pin in place and they pulled right out. Swapped them around, replaced purple tab and then the gray tab on back. powered up car and scan tool reads no codes!!

Woohoo bsharpe. So appears (unless it comes back) that monte pedals do work w/E38 ECU. I'm getting close to starting this baby...over a year since I first started.
did any issues ever come back on this?
Old 06-19-2018, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Originally Posted by 83monteclsx
did any issues ever come back on this?
You are responding to a 6-year old thread. The posters are likely not around anymore or they would have completed the thread
Old 04-16-2020, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Gotta throw a kudos to this thread. Ancient or not very relevant! It corrected a no pedal / no throttle issue on an e38 LS swap prefab harness I was working on . Thank You and sorry to those whose *** it burns to dig up old fossils. Could pretty much be a sticky. Im not sure I agree that the gen 4 harnesses have to match the ecm now (since read on HPtuners threads). I have two completely different part number pedals working after swaping the wires around.
The following users liked this post:
sixt9er (07-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2020, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"I have two completely different part number pedals working after swaping the wires around."
You think that maybe, that's the reason for 2 part numbers??

Quick Reply: Initial ECM power up on LY6 shows P2138 DBW pedal code. Thoughts?