Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Announcing a "newish" LS-Swap and Retrofit publication, finally!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:35 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Announcing a "newish" LS-Swap and Retrofit publication, finally!!!

Hello fellow members of LS1tech. With Internet Brands permission, I am excited to finally announce formally about my most recent published work and my 3rd publication thus far. This has actually been out for a little over a year now and I’m sure many of the members may have run across it on your own... but I’ve taken some time off the forums and online sites in general in the last year to handle a few things. So I never had a chance to post about it until now..... better late than never huh?!

This book/manual is all about LS specific engine retrofits and swaps. The title is called “LS-Series Engines: The Complete Swap Manual”. Ideally, the book can help both the LS novice unfamiliar with anything LS, and an LS swap hobbyist. There might even be some info helpful for the seasoned pro, although it was written with the mindset that the reader has not ever performed a LS swap.

A little about the book itself. It took me about 10 months of my time to compile the project, and then about 6 months from there until it was in printed paper form as you would see it today. The book itself has about 50,000 words of main and sidebar text and 420+ fill color images and diagrams with about 20,000 additional words for image captions. The final product ended up taking up 191 pages when in print form.

Most info is based on GM RWD platforms as that is what I do and had available on hand locally to utilize. There are install pictures from swaps I performed while writing the publication: 1967 Chevelle LS3/4L60E, 1969 Camaro LS7/T56, and my own 1967 Camaro 5.3L (at the time), plus many from other LS swap sources and car shows I attended.

To introduce a sample of what the book/manual included, here is a list of the chapter titles which give a taste on the subjects included:
-Preview the first 23 pages here!-

CH1: Introduction to LS-Series Engines and Planning Your Project
CH2: LS Engine Mounting Solutions
CH3: Engine EFI and Ignition Controls
CH4: Fuel System Design
CH5: Induction and Exhaust Systems
CH6: Engine Accessories and Cooling Systems
CH7: Transmission, Torque Converters, and Clutches
Ch8: Performance Upgrades and Power Adders
CH9: Startup and Troubleshooting Guide

This publication is available from Motorbooks directly such as in my signature links, or from retail outlets like Barnes and Noble, Hastings, etc, and also on Amazon.com. If you pick up an extra item from Amazon, you can also get it shipped for free.

Just like any technical book... not everything and every situation you may encounter can fit in a book/manual of this size and due to space and constraints some stuff just wouldn’t be able to be published, so with some hard decisions there are purposely some areas I just left out due to huge amounts of data and space required to put that info into print. Even with cutting some info out, it remains my largest and most full book to date! The main thing I left out was the step-by-step DIY wiring harness mods using OEM harnesses, I felt there was enough online sources for this data. Also due to there being 15 years+ of LS wiring harness flavors, I didn’t want to put some harness swaps in, and not others. With that said, there is plenty of alternative and popular complete engine harness sources listed in the publication.

Also a quick note, while this book is available in electronic format on Amazon Kindle, iTunes/iPhone/iPad, and elsewhere for convenience... After viewing these myself... I feel that the printed paper version is the best quality and provides the best layout for how I intended the book to be.

Anyway, I hope it becomes an additional resource to help with future LS swap projects for anyone that picks up a copy. Thanks!

-Joseph
Attached Thumbnails Announcing a "newish" LS-Swap and Retrofit publication, finally!!!-lsswapmanual.jpg  

Last edited by -Joseph-; 08-09-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Default Reply

Joseph, I have had this book for just about 1 year now. Cheapest price that I have found is from Amazon. Purchased with other items to qualify for the free shipping was $16.49. This is ABSOLUTLY the best LS swap book on the market. I refer to this book alsmost on a daily basis when I go into my "Library". You did one heck of a job on this book. Great paper, great text, and loads of great pictures. Matter of fact I have 2 of these books. One for my "LIBRARY" and another for the garage. I believe that you also have another book out which I would also like to purchase but forgot the name of it. Joseph could you please post the name of the other book in order that I know what book to purchase and also for the LS1tech members to purchase if they care to do so? Nobody should be without this book that is contemplating an LS Series swap. Even if they aren't doing a swap, it is still great reading. Keep up the good work Joseph. Rich
Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 AM

Rich, Thank you greatly for the feedback. It's nice to know all my hard work is appreciated.

My other very popular book is the LS engine manual titled "How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines". Also available on
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks good Joseph, from what I read from the link, very detailed and nice illustrations....awesome job...

I'll have to pick up a copy....

T,
Old 08-09-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Too bad it was printed in CHINA
Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be ordering one, or two.
Thanks for your help in the past, Joseph (valve timing events). I really appreciate it!

Glenn
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by TomM
Looks good Joseph, from what I read from the link, very detailed and nice illustrations....awesome job...

I'll have to pick up a copy....

T,
Thanks Tom, also thanks for the pics, they came out well. I owe you a copy, I can mail one, or bring one next time I'm in Houston.

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Too bad it was printed in CHINA
I know, that has been a complaint from others. I personally don't have any control after my layout approval is complete. I responsible for content, pics, and approving how it "looks". If it were up to me, my step-father would be the printer.

Originally Posted by gMAG
I'll be ordering one, or two.
Thanks for your help in the past, Joseph (valve timing events). I really appreciate it!

Glenn
Sure! No problem on any help. I've been tied up lately and will be for a while on new projects, but I'll be visiting the forums a bit more as I can.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I hope you spent some time discussing the iron block truck motors. That's overlooked in most publications. The supply of LS1 motors is decreasing fast and with the price of LS2/3 aluminum block motors they might as well be made of gold.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:50 PM

Sure did discuss the iron engines Gary. Also have a how-to on drilling the iron block for F-body alternator designs.

You can find those dirt cheap, my 5.3L was almost free.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have your other book and was going to pick this one up as well just to have on the (bathroom) shelf, but I've decided to keep Chinese things in my house to a minimum. Doesn't affect my job, but it does affect someones. Anyway, looks good from the preview.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have to stick up for the book regardless of where it was printed.

Trade isn't a zero sum game; free trade creates more total jobs for everyone--albeit it may not be the same job. The reason to be against Chinese stuff is if its garbage (like the inferior quality of their tools, even compared to Taiwan), not because it "steals" someone's job. As Henry Hazlitt wrote in Economics in One Lesson, the job that went to China is what's "seen." What's "unseen" is the job that is created in the U.S. that produces exports in what we have a comparative advantage in. The U.S. is a giant exporter in high technology products, to China and elsewhere. China has a comparative advantage only in low value-added jobs; we don't want those jobs anyway cuz they're low pay. If something that China makes is a superior value than something we make, it would be incredibly foolish to make it ourselves.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the comments. I wish I had input on where the book was printed but I don't.

I can tell you approx how many real people directly had months of work due to this project and directly made an income off of it.

Writer: Me 10 months
Editor: 2 months
Designer: 2 months

Indirectly...there is the publishers, publicists, sales ppl, shipping/recieving crew, and even the guy sweeping the floor at Motorbooks that all get a cut.

Then you have the retail outlets that have their 40% markup. Companies such as Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Borders, Hastings, and a thousand others all have real people that are paid from profits of book sales no matter where it's printed. These companies actually profit way more than my small %.

Luckily I'm not writing for $, it's a very insignificant amount in the mix. Very insignificant actually, my last royalty check paid for 75% of my new desktop PC (to write more) as a reference. You have to like doing it for it to be rewarding.

Anyway try to keep the thread on topic. I'd hate to pull a China and have to clean up and censor it. Lol jk
Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Joseph - I just wanted to add my thanks. I think I own all of your books. Great to have for a reference!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Rich, Thank you greatly for the feedback. It's nice to know all my hard work is appreciated.

My other very popular book is the LS engine manual titled "How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines". Also available on Amazon
My buddies and I use this book all the time, Probably the most complete "how-to hot rod an LS" I've come across. I look forward to reading your swap guide as well. The preview you've posted looks just as good as your engine book.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just recently got this book as my son and I are contemplating a 5.3/4.8 swap into his 1984 El Camino. It is EXCELLENT and makes the project really seem doable. Very well done!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Joseph, Let me pile on and also say that this is the best LS swap book out. It's comprehensive, detailed, has great photos and obviously written by someone who has hands-on experience. Great job and keep'em coming!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 AM

Thanks! Plans are in the works for another writing project () so it's good motivation to hear the gratitude from previous work.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turbinesurgeon
My buddies and I use this book all the time, Probably the most complete "how-to hot rod an LS" I've come across. I look forward to reading your swap guide as well. The preview you've posted looks just as good as your engine book.
I have this book as well and it is awesome and a nice way to learn some things when you have time without having to stare at a computer.

Awesome work!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by btlegacy
I have this book as well and it is awesome and a nice way to learn some things when you have time without having to stare at a computer.

Awesome work!!!
Thanks!!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered it!

Quick Reply: Announcing a "newish" LS-Swap and Retrofit publication, finally!!!