Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont have to apologize for the exaust system--it works and thats what counts. I had to modify my 5.3 y-pipe and ran it into a 3" single flomaster cat back system. Sounds real throaty outside and quiet in the cab. Great work by the way.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Launching!

LOVE the patina, glad your keeping this one a work/DD truck.

Great job!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  44478767_photobucket_192220_.jpg
Views: 5460
Size:  369.1 KB

It appears that you and I have the same exact intake and factory rails. If you look close at the picture, you can see two silver fuel lines that go back to the firewall. How do you make this a return-less setup? Do you plug one line? Why are there two lines here?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

The short answer is, you don't make it returnless. You just run the return back to the tank. Not sure why you would want to make it returnless? So you have to run a$ 50 fuel filter? With a return style you just run both lines to the engine and use a regular fuel filter.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You forgot to add "a $50 Corvette only filter that almost no one locally keeps in stock."
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by exboatracer
Dont have to apologize for the exaust system--it works and thats what counts.
Yeah, it works, but I'm just not real proud of it. Also doesn't sound the best, but will work for the time being.

Originally Posted by cprmn14
LOVE the patina,
It's not patina, it's rust! At least when I think patina, it's a solid vehicle with weathered paint with some surface rust showing through. This trucks saving grace is it's a short bed, if it was a long bed it probably wouldn't even be worth fixing.

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
You forgot to add "a $50 Corvette only filter that almost no one locally keeps in stock."
Ahhh yes, I forgot that part!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 AM
Staging Lane

Another great project.

Can't wait to see it on the road.

Future plans for my 69 K10 are similar.

The dash looks great too.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
The short answer is, you don't make it returnless. You just run the return back to the tank. Not sure why you would want to make it returnless? So you have to run a$ 50 fuel filter? With a return style you just run both lines to the engine and use a regular fuel filter.
True, it would save me from buying a $50 fuel filter, but now I have to run not 1 but 2 high pressure fuel injection gas lines the full length of the vehicle. Last time I checked braided steel line was more than $50 for both supply and return lines.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

I don't have a single piece of braided steel line on mine. Steel hard line from the auto parts is alot cheaper and better for long runs.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did I see your orange truck in latest copy Goodguys Gazette?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Indyjc
Did I see your orange truck in latest copy Goodguys Gazette?
Yeah, it won the Chevy truck pick at the Mid-Western Nationals last September.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Another awesome project Eric! I will be following along closely. Looking forward to copying your speedo conversion. I will be asking a ton of questions I'm sure. You and I think a lot alike on reliablitly and cutting costs. I like cool stuff but I really don't want to have to mortgage my house to build it
Old 01-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Default I have been watching your builds for a while.

Thought I would share my 69C-10.

I removed all my info: I felt like I was Hi-jacking your thread and that was not my intention.

1969 C10 with a 1972 style front
5.3 L33 all aluminum

It has been a daily driver for more than 3 years.

Thanks for sharing all the build information that you do. You are a great help to a lot of people doing swaps.
Props to you sir.

Last edited by Dobster; 02-09-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Great build! What's your opinion ls1nova on a 5.3 carbed? And would you consider fabbing up some motor mounts?? I want some that'll fit perfect and I'm not the greatest in fabbing and I have no welder. I have 68 c10
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

That's a sick truck dobster.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I don't have any pics of it, but I'll try to explain. First you take the original mirror and take it apart. You need the pivot part, it's held on with 2 rivits on the top of the mirror and will have the day/night lever on the bottom. You cut the nay/night lever off. Then take the new mirror, and pull off the front bezel, it takes a little work, but will pop off. Carefully take the mirror lens and circuit board out, unbolt the mounting part, and drill out the back so the old pivot will just fit through it. Then epoxy the old pivot to the new mirror back. Be sure to roughen up the plastic so the epoxy will stick well, and be sure to use enough so that it doesn't come off. Then after the epoxy is dry put the mirror back together. Hope this helps.
Thanks we'll see I'm gonna hold on to this thread.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Great thread. Can you provide any more details on the engine mounts you made? Dimensions, in process pictures, etc... I really love your idea versus using 350 mounts with an adapter plate.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:25 AM

Great Thread. Im doing a 03 truck 5.3 w/4le60 into 68 firebird for wife. Your info is very helpfull. What would you do for fuel system if Im using stock tank and no room for lower sump, Corvette deal or weld in ring on top and drop pump? Does vette pump require lower sump? Would you buy harness or rework? And who best to flash computer or do you do your own? Thanks again for thread.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 68fleetside
Great build! What's your opinion ls1nova on a 5.3 carbed? And would you consider fabbing up some motor mounts?? I want some that'll fit perfect and I'm not the greatest in fabbing and I have no welder. I have 68 c10
If you're planning on running a carb, you're asking the wrong guy! I would fuel inject a gen I small block before I would put a carb on a gen III, but that's just my opinion. Some people swear by carbs, some swear by EFI, and if you ask this question in an open forum, the answers you'll get will verify this. But since this is my thread, I'll give you my opinion! Back in '96, I stumbled on a good deal for a Holley Pro-Jection set-up, it worked reasonably well, but when the fuel pump went out at a car show and no one knew what was wrong with it, I took it off. It was the only car I had at the time, and had to get to work on monday. Well, an engine fire shortly afterward ruined the harness that i had left on the engine, as I had planned on putting it back on, so I never did anything with it. I put a brand new Edelbrock carb on it and drove it that way for a couple years, but even with it's electric choke, it was hard to start in the winter. In '98 I was on the Power Tour in Colorado, took a detour up the mountains, and it would barely run, messing with the screws on the carb helped, but it still sucked. When I got back, I found an '86 IROC, took the TPI off of it and put it on my car, fired up on the first crank! I was stoked!!! Although in the back of my mind I was questioning the reliability. Several years of absolutley trouble free driving later, I was hooked, never again would that car have a carb. a few years later, I swapped in an LS1 and it's been fuel injected LS from then on. So my opinion of carburetors is not one of favor. Also alot depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're planning on a daily driver, I would go EFI, as it's already on most engines when you buy them, and it's half the point of putting the 5.3 in in the first place. But like I said, it's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions......

As for the mounts, those mounts I made are not the easiest way to put an engine in, but I make them because they use the factory mounts, and because I can. They would cost more for me to make, than you would be able to buy a set of adapter plates for, since they take alot of time. I would do a search on what people are using for these trucks since there are ALOT of people doing this swap in these trucks.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your project!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MSchreiner1968
Great thread. Can you provide any more details on the engine mounts you made? Dimensions, in process pictures, etc... I really love your idea versus using 350 mounts with an adapter plate.

Thanks!
I don't have any 'in process' pics, but there are some unpainted pics in my '72 truck build thread on post #14. Basically I cut the part the mount bolts to down to a useable piece, bolted them to the mounts, bolted the mounts to the engine, blocked the engine up where I wanted it, and filled in the gaps with metal.

Quick Reply: 5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10