Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LQ4 S4xx 86 Mustang build

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 07:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My LQ4 S4xx 86 Mustang build

Well, I wasn't going to make a build thread until I got a lot closer but screw it, i'm bored today so......

The back story:
Bought the car from Michigan back in 07, 82k miles on the odometer and a close to stock 5.0 in it. Slowly put some parts to it, mostly used, Summit clearance or hand-me-down style. It's what I call Section 8 Racing if you will.

By 2010 the setup was:
Keith Kraft budget 306
TFS 185 heads
E303 cam
Performer RPM intake
Quicktime turbo kit with Precision 67mm @ 15lbs boost
UPR Pro Series rear suspension
3.27 gear
QA1 coilovers in front 130lb springs
Strange adjustable front/rear shocks/struts
Redneck C4 w/Brake and converter
Sheetz 93 octane
Driven daily besides Winter DUH

Car was consistent in the 10.30's-10.50 depending on weather, how much gas I had in it, etc....

By mid 2010 I had grown tired of the declining hobby and wanted to spend more time with my kids who somehow had grown up and was only a couple years away from being in College and starting their own lives so......dismantled the car, sold the engine, trans, turbo and put it in the garage so that I could start spending time with the kids.

Shortly after taking the car apart I decided to pick up the next powerplant for it in case I decided someday to put it back together. I had been researching the "trend" of stuffing a GenIII (LS series) engine into the car so when I found a $500 6.0 with less than 100k on it, I grabbed it and set it next to the car for future use.

Here and there I would gather small'ish items for the car as I found deals on them. Fuel system ($200)

ARP head studs, new tensioner, etc....you get the idea

Fast forward to 2012, RRA had just finished up the 2011 (First?) season and looked like it was going to stick around. My kinda game, some competitive racing again - sure beats the TnT's that the car was used for in 2010 which partially prompted it's demise. The wife says "Time to put the car back together, you're miserable not racing" --------- And...we're off!

30 seconds after she "pushed" me to get going I was on the phone with Forced Inductions to order the first incarnation of the turbo

Parts were being purchased - still using the Section 8 Racing method as much as I can and in the meantime I decided I probably should get it out of the garage. Wasn't sure if the tires were permanently attached to the garage floor after 2 years of sitting.

End of Part 1
Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

Part 2: Assembly

With the tires chiseled from the concrete and the car "cleaned up" as best it can be it's time to start putting some pieces back together.

New pan, intercooler, turbo blanket, injectors, BOV

Had the wife take off the factory pan, pickup and windage tray

.....then install the new pan, intake and rails for mockup

We were rolling at this point. The original plan was to do a budget DIY stock manifold turbo kit like 5 million others had already done, however, I asked 1 person 1 question and the entire game changed.

Part 3: Big Dog Fabrication steps to the front
Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did you plasti dip the wheels? Love 4 eye cars!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

Part 3: Big Dog Fabrication steps to the front

Setting the engine down in there for mock up

Mocking up the turbo location

Fabricated engine mounts

And now onto the actual piping

Here's the notch and box work in the frame to mount the turbo

yeah he can weld

Minus the new AFCO radiator and a couple other small things, this is how it sits now. Still a long long way to go

Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

I want to run either the 10.50 or 9.90 heads up class at our local track so it's really going to depend on how the car actually runs. This is my first GenIII engine so i'm completely in the dark with how they respond. I have zero idea what i'm going to do with the engine as far as cam yet. Here's my thoughts - any and all help is greatly appreciated.

S475 T4 1.25 a/r 83mm - 90% sure will be upgraded to S480 T4 1.25 87mm
LS9 gaskets
Arp head studs
Ati balancer
Th400 w/rossler brake
PTC converter
83lb low impedance injectors w/AEM driver box
Clean up the heads

I have this idea that i'd love to run as much GM factory stuff inside the engine as I can so my choice is to either run an LS9 cam or a Liljohn/Brian Tooley spec'd custom cam. I haven't decided yet but I love the idea of running the factory stuff. Hell, even an LS6 intake would be on my list - I got the Typhoon and rails dirt dirt cheap so I had to pick them up.

TSP ported LS6 oil pump?
LS2 chain?

If I make more progress than expected and have time i'm going to do Wiseco pistons and K1 rods in the thing. Money and time will make that decision - I have no idea what machine work/cost it would take to have the block setup for those.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by superbean
Did you plasti dip the wheels? Love 4 eye cars!
Yes sir - I peeled them back off 2 days later, that's why it makes the timeline look weird :p

I just wanted to see if i'd like the wheels black before I had them powdercoated. I like how they look but I may be upgrading rear brakes and dumping my Moser 4 lug axles for some 5 lugs then swapping wheels to the beadlocked RTS from Weld.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Ive seen a lot of 5.3 builds with a ls6 intake and cam turbo'd making some BIG power. I sure they were making enough power to run the times you are wanting to run in a car as light as yours. With that said Brian can spec you something that will get you where you want to be.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are those $100 ebay valve covers? i think i got the same exact ones haha
Old 11-24-2012, 06:36 AM
11 Second Club

Probably one and the same although mine were $50 off of Summit Racing's clearance table. Figured i'd give them a shot for that price, if they work - great, if not - ugg
Old 11-24-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to start looking at the clearance table!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Could I trouble you for measurements on your engine mounts? I just ditched my D&D k member because I can't fab my own stuff but I think I'm getting a welder for Xmas!!

Last edited by Capown; 11-24-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Launching!

what's been going on with this thing?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Teching In

That cars gonna roll out for sure. I have a good friend that is doing a swap a lot like this combo but a little less expensive.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Still working on her - the Anti-Roll-Bar is now in the car along with the custom alternator bracket. Currently gathering the rest of my fittings to finish off the fuel system. I haven't taken pics in a while, there's some other projects in the shop right now that are taking priority as I continue to collect parts.

Sending my harness out to Bill@BP Automotive for rework today.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice....I'm just up the road from you off I75....
Old 01-24-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is my 370ci s475 mustang coupe (stock heads, 230/230 cam, stock ls6 manifold, diy manifold turbo kit), has gone a best of 5.74 so far, still has a/c and driven to/from the track. good luck with your build, these motors are incredible!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I want to see more updates! I'm interested in how the exhaust is ran. I was thinking about dumping it in front of the front driver side tire but Id really like to run it under the car a few feet to quieten it down
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cbrodine
Nice....I'm just up the road from you off I75....
Nice! Should head down this way and check out Big Dog Fabrication, some killer stuff out of that shop

Originally Posted by dville_gt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUG0AeeQrR0

here is my 370ci s475 mustang coupe (stock heads, 230/230 cam, stock ls6 manifold, diy manifold turbo kit), has gone a best of 5.74 so far, still has a/c and driven to/from the track. good luck with your build, these motors are incredible!
Thank you, i've read your build.....a few times I think you have the T6 version, i'm running the T4 but upgrading it to the 80/87 with race cover

Love the car!

Originally Posted by superbean
I want to see more updates! I'm interested in how the exhaust is ran. I was thinking about dumping it in front of the front driver side tire but Id really like to run it under the car a few feet to quieten it down
Mine is snaked thru the k-member on passenger side - single 4" into a Magnaflow muffler dumped at the rear. I decided to vent the wastegate back into the downpipe - I hated my last kit when it was in boost, giant exhaust leak that sounded like crap.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Teching In

glad to see your build on here Aaron! I almost feel like im "cheating" talking to you in here lol. I cant wait to start on my buick. Im pretty close to pulling the trigger on a LQ4 i found, hopefully pick it up early next week and then the fun begins.

I need to get down there and check out everything sooner than later, need to see this stuff in person so i can wrap my brain around it better. Keep up the AWESOME work and I'm so pumped to see ya out racing this year!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkHorse
Thank you, i've read your build.....a few times I think you have the T6 version, i'm running the T4 but upgrading it to the 80/87 with race cover

Love the car!

Thanks, can't wait to see videos of yours out making passes!

Quick Reply: My LQ4 S4xx 86 Mustang build