Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

could i use this for a breather catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default could i use this for a breather catch can?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/85406/10002/-1

would this work for a PCV breather catch can system?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see people using ones like that but I don't know how they work with an open vent on them. If you want a catch can between the PCV and the intake manifold, then you don't want an open vent on it. Seems like that one would just suck air in through the air filter straight into manifold and not take a suction on the crankcase.

Also to be really effective you need some type of baffling inside the can to encourage the oil mist to condense into the bottom of the can. There is a really good thread on here about what makes a good catch can.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Also to be really effective you need some type of baffling inside the can to encourage the oil mist to condense into the bottom of the can. There is a really good thread on here about what makes a good catch can.
i've done quite a bit of searching.. can you post a link to that thread??
Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I see people using ones like that but I don't know how they work with an open vent on them. If you want a catch can between the PCV and the intake manifold, then you don't want an open vent on it. Seems like that one would just suck air in through the air filter straight into manifold and not take a suction on the crankcase.

I agree. The PCV system needs to start out with clean filtered air entering lets say on the passenger valve cover side, cross through the motor pulling out the "bad" air, then exit the drivers side valve cover and onto the catch can. The catch can will remove most of the oil that is drawn out of the motor and the exit out of the catch can goes to a spot on the intake manifold behind the throttle body.

Having a filter at the catch can location will not work as most of the vacuum from the intake manifold will be drawn in at that point and will not go through the motor like it should.

Quick Reply: could i use this for a breather catch can?