Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standalone wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Standalone wiring issues

I bought a SSP wiring harness w/ fuse box and had it in my 91 coupe/4.8L After about a month and a few hundred miles I would get an intermittent miss. I used a temp gun and my driver side bank was cold ( the car was running on 4 cylinders) I messed with the fuse box wiring and everything lined out. So after 5 months of building an 88 coupe with a 6.0L I reused my old harness and after about 20 minutes of idle time the same problem is back.... Any suggestions? I found a loose wire from the fuse box to fuel pump. I fixed that but I'm pulling my hair out over this issue.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like it's time to unwrap the harness, and do a once over of all splices, crimps, connectors.
A problem at the fuel pump wiring should affect all 8 cyls, not just 1 bank.
Since the prev issue, + new pump issue, go directly to the fuse block, maybe replace that item, then work from a known good starting point??
Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time to start diagnosis. Do the coils have 12V power measuring with a multimeter? If you put a screwdriver in one of the plug wires and position it near the engine does it spark to ground? Are the injectors firing? Listen with a long screwdriver touching an injector and the handle end in your ear. If it's the whole bank not firing it sounds to me like it's a power or ground problem instead of an individual cylinder problem.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The fuel pump issue is fixed. I re-crimped the connector and plugged it back last night. The whole drive side has no power. No spark or injector. I used a noid light on the injector and used a screw driver in tje plug end to check spark. Im going to check grounds and swap relays around
Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1bad03snake
The fuel pump issue is fixed. I re-crimped the connector and plugged it back last night. The whole drive side has no power. No spark or injector. I used a noid light on the injector and used a screw driver in tje plug end to check spark. Im going to check grounds and swap relays around

I do not know how they build their harnesses, but it sounds like you have one of two issues,

the bank 1 splice is no longer conducting, or the circuit supplying bank 1 with power is no longer conducting.

Im sending you a PM...

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Replied to your pm

Thanks you for everyone's help.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bad03snake
You shouldn't have a relay supplying power to the coils/injectors on one side. It should be a 15amp fuse.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
You shouldn't have a relay supplying power to the coils/injectors on one side. It should be a 15amp fuse.
When I get off i'm hauling *** to sears picking up a few things then i'll mess with the car for a little while tonight.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you get it fixed. I need to come by and check it out when I get back from out of town. Maybe get some pointers out of your build for mine

Quick Reply: Standalone wiring issues