Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Porsche 996 C4S, LS3 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Exidous
It seems to me that some ITB's would be PERFECT for this swap. Next step, someone make some affordable ITB's that aren't crapola!
Call Me Stupid, but what is a ITB?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fierofly
Call Me Stupid, but what is a ITB?
individual throttle bodies

awesome build sir
Old 11-03-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aye, give the Jenvey ITB's for LSx's a look. Really expensive but it will make you thing awesome thoguhts. haha

Because each cylinder creates it's own vacuum and they don't rob vacuum from eachother you can run a huge cam and have it run REALLY smooth. Throttle response is incredible by comparison to any other setup. Downfall is price and filtering the air without hindering the benefits.

Last edited by Exidous; 11-03-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless any of these itb setups are as shallow as the top of an ls1 intake manifold....its a no go! There is literally maybe a 1/4" above the ls1 intake for clearance.

There may be room in the pre 996 bodies.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Been following your build!!! I just picked up a 2001 996 convert that was a theft recovery, they stole the engine. So I have been gathering parts and building a LS2 403 stroker with CNC'ed LS3 heads. Waiting on my RH kit, but I will be running a LS3 water pump and power steering pump. F&@$ the electric water and power steering. And I am not worried about cutting the rear of the car up to fit things. So I am sure I will be asking you some electrical questions. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 11-05-2014, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Wow nice clean build I love it!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

I have not received my RH conversion kit yet, and have a quick question for you. How are you making the stock tach work? Are you able to tie into the LS3 crank sensor and use that signal, beings your LS3 is a 58X reluctor wheel just like the porsche?
Old 11-07-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 4LUX
I have not received my RH conversion kit yet, and have a quick question for you. How are you making the stock tach work? Are you able to tie into the LS3 crank sensor and use that signal, beings your LS3 is a 58X reluctor wheel just like the porsche?
You just have to T the Porsche crank sensor white wire into the GM crank sensor wire, blue with white tracer. Are you going to start a build thread?
Old 11-07-2014, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

You just have to T the Porsche crank sensor white wire into the GM crank sensor wire, blue with white tracer. Are you going to start a build thread?
That is what I thought, now the problem I have is my LS2 is 24X. Will i need to convert over to 58X, or will the 24X work the same? And yes, I plan on starting a build thread. Just trying to get things ready to go, I have a Land Cruiser in the garage that I need to finish up and get sold to have the rest of my build cash.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Name:  DSCN2873_zps0591ccfa.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  298.1 KB

This picture shows the final cooling reservoir setup, it runs all day at idle 180-200 and on the road at 160-180 with a 160 thermostat.

Name:  DSCN2874_zps0b51d31d.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  290.9 KB

This shows the 4" intake pipe with the PCV hose going to it.

Name:  DSCN2875_zpsb3576432.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  239.6 KB

This shows the air filter, will be adding a T and a second filter, also note the rear wheel wells that I made from sheet metal to keep some of the road debris off.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Name:  DSCN2877_zps22f73075.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  295.9 KB

Name:  DSCN2876_zpsac383977.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  294.2 KB
Old 11-09-2014, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

Looking good! I like those sheet metal wheel wells! I really like your attention to detail in the build! I consider mine more of a euro ratrod build! lol
Old 11-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Teching In

How have you connected the sheet metal in the wheelwells? I'm curious if you considered those a source of rattles or buzzing over time? Contact points isolated (lined) with Dynamat?
These Porsche LS projects are calling my name. Loudly. Thanks for the thread.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KC_Michael
How have you connected the sheet metal in the wheelwells? I'm curious if you considered those a source of rattles or buzzing over time? Contact points isolated (lined) with Dynamat?
These Porsche LS projects are calling my name. Loudly. Thanks for the thread.
The wheel well is 6061 aluminum and is very stout, I will add a few more screws to the body side bend when I make them permanently installed. I just can't believe that Porsche just let all that road grim and rain just hit the stock mufflers all the time, another ?? design.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

I see that you have done some research on trying to run the Porsche DBW pedal with the GM ECM system. Have You made any more head way on this? And if you would use the GM pedal, do you think one could "T" the Porsche wires into to make the cruise control work?

I live here in Las Vegas, NV and went to Renegade's shop to order my conversion kit. So, I talked with them and from a liability stand point they use the GM pedal and do not make the cruise control operational. They did say that people have made the Porsche pedal and cruise control work. I see that you have looked at this and the sensors are pretty close on OHM readings. Sensor 2 looked to have the largest delta on values.

I was planning on using the GM pedal, but would really like to have cruise control, I hope you can shed some light on a few of these issues.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

The wheel well is 6061 aluminum and is very stout, I will add a few more screws to the body side bend when I make them permanently installed. I just can't believe that Porsche just let all that road grim and rain just hit the stock mufflers all the time, another ?? design.
Porsche went cheap there, the rear bumper for the C4S is from the turbo model and the turbo has intercoolers there. Surprised that they didn't do anything with that space.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see that you have done some research on trying to run the Porsche DBW pedal with the GM ECM system. Have You made any more head way on this? And if you would use the GM pedal, do you think one could "T" the Porsche wires into to make the cruise control work?

I live here in Las Vegas, NV and went to Renegade's shop to order my conversion kit. So, I talked with them and from a liability stand point they use the GM pedal and do not make the cruise control operational. They did say that people have made the Porsche pedal and cruise control work. I see that you have looked at this and the sensors are pretty close on OHM readings. Sensor 2 looked to have the largest delta on values.

I was planning on using the GM pedal, but would really like to have cruise control, I hope you can shed some light on a few of these issues.
Porsche pedal works good so far 100mi, the pedal is working thru the GM computer though, I just used the GM wires to the cut Porsche pedal wires. I think the problem is that the cruise control goes thru the Porsche computer and it has no engine throttle or 02 sensor readings. not sure what would happen if you T'd some of those wires to the Porsche computer and don't want to fry either to experiment. Also on another side note I'm not sure if the fuel pump will shut down after an accident, since my fuel pump relay comes from the GM, also the air bags come from the Porsche and not sure how they work and if they need an engine signal or ? This is definitely a learning process.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Porsche pedal works good so far 100mi, the pedal is working thru the GM computer though, I just used the GM wires to the cut Porsche pedal wires. I think the problem is that the cruise control goes thru the Porsche computer and it has no engine throttle or 02 sensor readings. not sure what would happen if you T'd some of those wires to the Porsche computer and don't want to fry either to experiment. Also on another side note I'm not sure if the fuel pump will shut down after an accident, since my fuel pump relay comes from the GM, also the air bags come from the Porsche and not sure how they work and if they need an engine signal or ? This is definitely a learning process.
Can you please share the wire color combination that you connected up to make things work? I also could use the fuel pump wiring info, as that was another wiring issue that I have been thinking about.

Do you have the radiator cooling fans running off the GM EMC or the Porsche ECM? I was going to have the GM ECM run the cooling fans, beings it is really running the engine. And could you please share that wiring situation?

Does the Renegade Kit directions help with any of these wiring issues? I should get mine next week, that is why I have been asking all these questions.

Thanks,
Clyde
Old 11-19-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can you please share the wire color combination that you connected up to make things work? I also could use the fuel pump wiring info, as that was another wiring issue that I have been thinking about.

Do you have the radiator cooling fans running off the GM EMC or the Porsche ECM? I was going to have the GM ECM run the cooling fans, beings it is really running the engine. And could you please share that wiring situation?

Does the Renegade Kit directions help with any of these wiring issues? I should get mine next week, that is why I have been asking all these questions.

Thanks,
Clyde
1. Fuel pump, I lowered the Porsche relay box under the dash and found the fuel pump wire that goes to the pump from the relay, I connected the GM fuel pump relay to that wire, I also removed the fuel pump control unit that sits on top the fuel tank on my C4S that controls the pump pressure depending on engine RPM so now mine runs full 55psi all the time, I know the LS3 is supposed to have 60, will work that later, so far motor runs good at 55psi. Let me know if you have that control unit and I'll tell you how to remove it and bypass wires.

2.Cooling fans, If you use the Porsche temp sensor also you don't have to do anything, the fans will work from the Porsche computer. I'm using the GM fan relay to run my remote water pump.

3. Renegade instructions, NOT. You have to call and ask questions.

4. Throttle pedal I'll have to look at what I did and write it down cause I'm sure you won't be the only one asking.

I'm kinda on hold with mine for now got too many other things going on now. I need to work out the exhaust next.

Michael
Old 11-19-2014, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome build! It is looking good, and sounding great too!

Quick Reply: 2003 Porsche 996 C4S, LS3 Conversion