Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 chevelle ls swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 chevelle ls swap

still hoping to hear from someone who has put 5.3 and 4l60e in 68 chevelle. i have read previous posts and gathered as much info as i could but still hesitant about ordering parts without knowing for sure that they will work. not wanting to do any modifications to make parts work, other than accessory drive mods. i spoke with holley and they have pan, mount plates, and headers but when asked if they work without mods all they can tell me is they havent heard of problems. i know someone out there has done this swap. please help.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing you have to do is create a budget for the project. Then decide how long you want to take to do the swap and get it done. If you are on a tight budget, these swaps can get out of hand in a hurry. There are people out there who have swapped these drivetrains for pennys but most (not all)barely run and are held together with duct tape and wire hangers.

Are you going to keep the 5.3 stock or modify the accessories and intake? If so, factor that into your expenses. I highly recommend a swap kit when it comes to motor mounts and crossmembers. There are a huge number of factors to consider with those adjustable mounts. Another thing to think about is the cooling system. You will have to make modifications to the tranny cooler lines and buy custom hoses. If you are just going to cruise around town you can swap in a 1999 camaro radiator, fan unit and hoses prety cheap from Rock Auto. You will have to weld bottom stops in and modify the radiator top cover.

Sounds like you are doing research first, that is the right way to do it. We need more details though.

Quick Reply: 68 chevelle ls swap